Maspeth woman still alive after shot in head

Police stand near the Maspeth street where a 21-year-old woman was shot in the head Monday night. Photo by Joe Anuta

A 22-year-old Maspeth man was arrested and charged with allegedly shooting a woman in the head Monday night, police said.

Elijah Stamateris was charged Tuesday with assault, criminal possession of a weapon and reckless endangerment, according to the NYPD.

The 21-year-old woman, whose name was not released, was in critical condition in Elmhurst Hospital after the shooting, which took place around 9:30 p.m. Monday, the NYPD said.

Police responded to the scene on 51st Avenue between 64th and 65th streets, near the border of Woodside, following the shooting and took one man into custody, the NYPD said.

A neighbor said that someone in his house had heard arguing near the corner of 51st Avenue and 64th Street before the shooting.

Although the neighbor did not hear a shot, he heard a man say something to the effect of “I messed up” and then saw him flee into an alley behind 50-43 64th St. and enter into a basement door of the residence.

Police and ambulance responded to the scene, according to the neighbor, who saw medics lift the woman into the ambulance and police break down the basement door in the back of the house.

The neighbor did not see the woman’s face, and did not recognize either of the men, one of whom was sitting in a patrol car and another who was standing in handcuffs near the scene, as being from the neighborhood.

NYPD officers were still stationed at the scene near the alley Tuesday afternoon. Along 51st Avenue, where the neighbor said the woman was loaded into the ambulance, discarded rubber gloves, gauze pads and bandages littered the street and sidewalk amid what appeared to be dark blood stains.

The shooting took place a little more than a block from the home of a Queens congressman.

U.S. Rep. Joseph Crowley (D-Jackson Heights), who also has a house in Virginia, was working in Washington, D.C., in the evening before the shooting and was not in the borough.

“I spoke with the police commander overseeing this case, and the authorities do believe this was an isolated incident. Woodside is a tight-knit community and this kind of violence is unacceptable,” Crowley said in a statement. “I am confident the police will bring to justice those who committed this senseless shooting and, in the meantime, I hope the community will join me in praying for the victim, her family and friends.”

Other neighbors walking their dogs through the neighborhood said the shooting was highly unusual for the relatively crime-free area.

“I’m shocked,” said one woman. “It’s a very quiet neighborhood and it’s stuff like this that destroys it.”

Another person milling around the crime scene — the front and back of the house where one of the suspects reportedly ran were still blocked off with police tape the day after — said the shooting was a tragedy since the victim was so young.

Reach reporter Joe Anuta by e-mail at januta@cnglocal.com or by phone at 718-260-4566.

steven cawley from woodside says:
a) This house (location of shooting) is located in Woodside not Maspeth. b) Crowley may be the owner of recordof the house you mention,but neither he nor any of his family ever step foot in it. Maurice Ave. is the division line between Woodside and Maspeth. Trust me,I have lived on 65St. off of Maurice Ave since 1958. My prayers are with that young lady.
Oct. 27, 2011, 8:07 am
Michelle Kadushin from queens says:
My prayers are with the parents and the victim of this unspeakable crime.
Oct. 27, 2011, 4:03 pm
JAnet D. from woodside says:
r.i.p Delilah
all of us will miss u and we all love u.......hope justice is made.....no one deserves to have there life taken especially at the age of 21....rest in paradise lil mamma...
Oct. 27, 2011, 10:44 pm
Julie T from Woodside says:
My condolences go to the family for their loss. God Bless thm during this difficult time.
Oct. 28, 2011, 8:13 am
JOEY from Woodside says:
I was at the hospital from the beggining to the very end holding your hand praying for you sweetheart we love you dont ever forget that ...rest in peace babygurl your in a place where you wont get hurt anymore i was holding your hand when everything droped to zero and i just couldent believe it :'(
Oct. 28, 2011, 3:52 pm
BG from woodside says:
I can't belive the lifes of these kids had to end up like this. Why?I know these kids from the neighborhood, always told them to do the right thing and stay out of trouble. Now you have a dead daughter.A young man going to prison for a long time. The parents are destroyed on both sides.I know the kid's mom who is going away . She is a church going more then good person, now destroyed . My prayer is for the girl who lost her life for nothing. Lately thats all you hear. Killed for nothing and for a stupid reason. On my job two guys killed each other for $6. Why?.Just why?
Oct. 29, 2011, 2:04 pm
Drew from Queens says:
my thoughts & prayers are with the family..such a sad story..no one deserves to lose their live at a young age.. R.I.P
Nov. 3, 2011, 12:42 pm
James from woodside says:
Delilah was always welcomed and wanted because of the person she was. She was respected and loved by many. She knew how to be a friend. I watched her grow up with my son and another young man. They were like the three muscateers. I have been torn apart. We should all be more vigile in protecting our youth so we may stop further horrible accidents from happening. The timesledger is not accurate in their account of that night. The truth will be told, however it will not bring back a really wonderful spirited young woman with the world at her fingertips. Delilah, I will see you in heaven.
Nov. 3, 2011, 11:36 pm
Hun says:
R.I.P ..I never had the chance 2 meet Delilah but I always saw her around..its a shame how kids these days never learn when its time 2 grow up..may delilah sleep with the angels and watch over all her loved ones..her spirit will live on eternally! !
Nov. 4, 2011, 9:32 pm