Maurice Johnson, 24, killed in Rochdale Village: Police

A young man from Rochdale was shot and killed just after midnight Thursday outside a building in the Rochdale Village co-ops.

Police responded to a 911 call of a male shot in front of 172-40 133 Ave. where they found 24-year old Maurice Johnson with a gunshot wound to his head, according to the NYPD.

Emergency medical responders pronounced Johnson dead on arrival, police said. There were no arrests made and the investigation was ongoing.

Johnson’s sister said the young man stepped out of his home to run to the store, and she believed he ran into some friends when he was gunned down.

Reach reporter Rich Bockmann by e-mail at rbockmann@cnglocal.com or by phone at 718-260-4574.

Print this story

Mo says:
My heart is really heavy over the death of my godbrother Maurice Johnson, better known to family as Marty. It is really unbelievable how ruthless people are and how easily they can snatch the life of another individual without a care in the world. This young man watched me grow up (always around to provide endless laughter) and was in the middle of watching his 9-month-old nephew grow up before he was senselessly gunned down. Now his mother is without a son, his sister without a brother, and his nephew without an uncle. Though this is hard to digest, process, and understand, I have to constantly remind myself that God knows best and I know that he is in heaven watching over his family. I have faith that those evil individuals that did this to my godbrother will pay, whether here on earth or where the judgement is much more imprtant: the afterlife. Gonna miss you Marty, love you forever!
March 9, 2012, 9:52 pm
Mo says:
March 9, 2012, 9:52 pm
Mo says:
March 9, 2012, 9:53 pm
Capri from Hollis says:
Please correct the article. Maurice my brother was not from Rochdale he was from Hollis. Unfortunately he dies in Rochdale.
March 11, 2012, 9:25 am
rayvin- from rosedale says:
smhh , i remember going downstairs from my grandmothers house to see maurice laying on the bench with a puddle of blood dripping from his head , it was so sad and unbelievable .
March 13, 2012, 1:48 pm
Barbara from New York says:
I saw a link to this on facebook. I did not know him personally but my heart aches for the family and friends who have known this young man. I truly hope that the person/people responsible for this come forward and are prosecuted. R.I.P.
March 13, 2012, 7:54 pm
cousin from bricktown says:
my heart and prays go out to his mother in sister he was a good kid .
March 16, 2012, 2:40 pm