Rochdale man murdered

Police said they were still searching Tuesday for suspects wanted in the shooting death of a young Rochdale man last week.

Just after midnight last Thursday, police responded to a 911 call of a male shot outside a building in the Rochdale Village co-ops, where they found 24-year-old Maurice Johnson with a gunshot wound to his head, according to the NYPD.

Emergency medical responders pronounced Johnson dead on arrival, police said. As of press time Tuesday, the police had not released a description of any suspects and the investigation was ongoing.

Capri Pillow, Johnson’s 27-year-old sister, said she last spoke to her brother on the phone around 10:30 the night he was killed.

Johnson grew up in Hollis, where he attended PS 134 and IS 192 and later went on to August Martin High School.

“We were talking about how Hollis is getting violent,” his sister said. “He was talking about it with friends on Facebook.”

Pillow said it was just two weeks ago that her brother attended the funeral of a friend who was shot and killed while he was walking down the street.

She said Johnson would often go out to a store about half way between his home and where he was found shot for drinks or snacks, and on this particular night he had every intention of returning home shortly.

“He left all of his stuff on. He was coming back,” she said. “I believe he ran into some friends.”

Pillow said her brother had just recently gotten a job as a security officer after being unemployed for about a year and that he wanted to become an electrician. She said he was into music and during his free time he wrote songs.

She said he did not live the type of lifestyle that attracted violence.

“He wasn’t a thug. He didn’t do that kind of stuff,” she said.

Rochdale Village, known as “The Jewel of Jamaica,” is a privately owned co-op development and does not have a reputation for violence.

There is a manned security tower a few dozen yards away from where Johnson was shot, in front of 172-40 133rd Ave., though neither security nor management would comment on the incident.

Reach reporter Rich Bockmann by e-mail at rbockmann@cnglocal.com or by phone at 718-260-4574.

Queens kitty from Jamaica queens says:
Killed over the Darryl situation in 40 because Maurice is from rochdale and so called hangs in Hollis and rose dale , with the snow gang guys who killed Darryl .....smh this is never gonna end
March 18, 2012, 7:51 pm
G from Jamaica says:
I know this family very well and I am sadden that this has happened to Maurice. In Hollis we call him Marty. Marty loved Hollis. So I can see him talking about hollis worrying about everyone's whereabouts. But I am mad that he was killed not to far from his new home. I guess you are not safe anywhere.
March 19, 2012, 12:01 am
G from Jamaica says:
Marty doesn't hang in rochdale. He was there with a friend that night on a spur of the moment incident. Marty was a Hollis boy, not a Rochdale boy.
March 19, 2012, 12:04 am
Jamaica Queen from Jamaica says:
Excuse me Queens Kitty. Maurice has nothing to do with the unfortunate situation with Darryl. The animals that did that have already been arrested. Actually I spoke to Maurice about the situation, we saw it in the paper and heard there was a video circulating on the internet. Maurice said how could they keep showing that video. What about that man's family? People can be so heartless. So to hear you say he was killed over the Darryl situation, that really angers me. Maurice was a hollis dude and a house dude, I am so surprised that he even decided to hang out so late with a friend. All of these killing are just hurting families and making people angry. We are hurting our own race. For What?
March 19, 2012, 12:05 pm
Siedah from Long Island City says:
I lived in Rochdale Village for many years. Idid not know Maurice and I know I cannot go on looks. However, this young man really DOES NOT look like trouble at all. He strikes me as a person who did not enjoy hanging out in the streets. Some of these young boys just have the look of trouble written all over their face. In any event, RIP young brother and may God bless the family!
March 19, 2012, 12:51 pm
Tawanda from Jamaica says:
Queens Kitty unless you knew Maurice. I advise you to keep you mouth closed because you do not know what you are talking about. Maurice is my relative and he had nothing to do with the murder of that young man Darryl. But I respect you for your ignorance.
March 21, 2012, 6:10 pm
missing my friend from hollis says:
Queens Kitty it seems like you know a lot about this case. whatever you know, you need to talk to the cops.
June 3, 2012, 1:12 am
Clipps from Southside says:
Ya'll aint know —— bout tha hood
June 6, 2012, 9:01 am
ty from all over says:
@ Clipps Im sure you know about the hood. You can tell by your grammar.
June 19, 2012, 11:40 pm
b no from hollis says:
rip marty my bro i don't know most of these ——s on here talking but i'm liveing for you every day love you bro
July 21, 2012, 2:50 pm
hollis 205 from god says:
them corner boys in hollis know exactly what happened to marty. the truth will soon come out.
Aug. 5, 2012, 10:45 pm
f the world from hell says:
@hollis 205 , dont be trying to start ——. you probably a forty dude using the hollis name to divert the attention of f of you ass holes, the streets say the 821 crew in 40 shot that boy maurice. this shot is sad, cause they didnt even know the dude. He was a cool dude. I met him through some former class mates and everytime I saw him, he made me laugh. he was a hard worker and he didnt deserve that to happen to him. Meanwhile there are a bunch of loser nobodys killing people and still walking the streets. I guess Maurice was too good for this world. I can't wait for god to take me too, I have had it with these young thugs. Nobody uses their fist anymore, they always want to shoot somebody. smh!!!!
Aug. 12, 2012, 10:35 pm
circle 3 from queens says:
this dude name Darryl or Harrold was with Maurice that night. He's a nobody, but he knows something. I hope the truth comes out. Marty didn't deserve that. Just senseless.
Sept. 13, 2012, 10:49 am
datyunghoolie from 40projects says:
r.i.p darryl maurice gt clipped 4 a reason maybe he wuz living gang life on da low yall dnt know he wuz probally snow gang or l.o.e dats y he gt shot
Dec. 3, 2012, 10:40 pm
Widow from Hollis says:
Datyunghoolie you don't know Maurice. He was going to the navy not gang banging. —— you from 40 projects your probably the shooter. Everyone one here talking about the Darryl situation knows something, cause that was never put out in the media regarding Maurice's case. Watch your mouth.
Dec. 13, 2012, 12:55 am
Widow from Hollis says:
Datyunghoolie you sound stupid, what kind of gangster walks around without a gun. Maurice was far from a gangster you ——. He was better than that. What the hell is a l.o.e. you seem to be so informed about this life.
Dec. 13, 2012, 1:03 am
Widow from Hollis says:
If the police was doing their damn jobs right, they would go to timesledger and get the IP address for the comment datyunghoolies made and trace it to his computer. But I'm just the smart tetchy —— in the room. This is the type of people Maurice hung out with , not dumb black —— going nowhere fast.
Dec. 13, 2012, 1:12 am
Queenie from Long Island says:
I Went To IS192 With Marty, Marty was definitely not the gang banging type. Marty was never the type to start trouble or was he the type to have trouble brought to him. Its ok for people to want to hang out every now and then. He didn't deserve to have his life taken away like that. R.I.P Marty You Are Definitely Missed & Love. Capri hold your head babes. You and the family are definitely in my prayers
Jan. 26, 2013, 10:26 pm
MR. Queenz from northside says:
Datyunghoolie is obviously a little —— that knows nothing about my boy marty. The only gangs marty knew about was Unions!!! He was a working man. Not a dumb man. It pisses me off that you Datyunghoolie is alive and well, and my boy is gone. See Marty would never go on another mans article and talk —— about them. What happened to Marty was horrible. No man should be killed , especially for no reason.
Jan. 30, 3:41 pm