Astoria Houses man found dead with shot to head in building lobby

Authorities reverse the medical examiner van to the entrance of the apartment building where the man was found dead. Photo by Christina Santucci

A young father was found dead with a gunshot wound to the head Sunday afternoon in the lobby of the Astoria Houses building where he had lived, and his neighbor has been charged with murder, police and tenants said.

At about 1 p.m., officers were called to 4-03 Astoria Boulevard to investigate an assault and found the 23-year-old Tysheen Davis, who had been shot in the head, according to the NYPD.

Emergency responders then arrived at the building and pronounced Davis dead, police said.

Early Monday morning, the NYPD sent out a statement saying that 19-year-old Lacorey Johnson, who lived in the same building as Davis four floors up, was arrested and charged with second-degree murder and criminal possession of a weapon.

Neighbors and relatives said Davis had celebrated his son’s first birthday earlier this month.

“He was a good man, a new father, finding a way to support his son,” said a woman who identified herself as the victim’s cousin and did not want to be named.

Friends said Davis worked in construction and was an avid basketball player.

Reach photo editor Christina Santucci by e-mail at csantucci@cnglocal.com or by phone at 718-260-4589.

April from Brooklyn says:
Damn Cuzxo I Woke Up This Morning & Still Couldn't Believe This. (R)est (I)n (P)aradise Tysheen AkA TyNitty, The Good Always Die Young. Stay Strong Auntie Vette.
March 26, 2012, 10:04 am
moochie from astoria project says:
damm i watch him grow up too become a man..this —— is so crazy these kids have to learn too stop doing what they doing out there life is too short now his son got too grow up with out an father astoria has change over the years they shoot every day and that somebody got hurt are they going too stop now or what...the only thing you gain from doing stuff like this is an new york state number for the rest of your life this doesn't make no since stay strong vette and wise..r.i.p tysheen davis
March 26, 2012, 11:21 am
Yah from Astoria Houses says:
My condolences go out to his family and they are in my prayers. Astonia definitely did change over the years and NOT for the better. These young wanabe gangsters need a rude awakening. Everything does not have to end with gun violence..we are losing to many of our black people to the streets. It's plenty people fighting war over seas to keep us safe from terrorists but its s war going on right here in the city and we on the losing end. Send the WANABE gangsters over seas to fight being they want to carry guns and kill and let the people there come home!!! You were a Kool dude Nitty and it saddens me that few weeks ago Yall were celebrating your son 1st birthday now your mom have to plan your funeral.
R.I.P Tysheen Davis aka Nitty.
March 26, 2012, 1:10 pm
crystal from astoria says:
i grew up w/ nittty and the mother of his son is a very close friend the pain is unbareable and something needs to be done !
March 26, 2012, 1:17 pm
meesh from astoria says:
Damn Nitty was the only person who walked around all day smiling ... He was very chill nd laid back I don't understand why someone would do it ... Smh still can't believe it ... King in peace Ty Nitty
March 26, 2012, 1:25 pm
jaquana from astoria says:
Smfh they say the good die young. With that being said K.I.P NITTY U WILL BE MISSED!
March 26, 2012, 3:24 pm
Tita from astoria/lex houses says:
This is so sad...i still cant believe this happened....my prayers go out to the family....may nitty R.i.p....only da good die young...gone but never forgotten
March 26, 2012, 3:57 pm
steve from lefrak city says:
This is another classical reason why nyc housing administration should get more involved in creating or help sponsership in athletic programs,or other positive activities that would help reduce the senseless violence and killings.
R.i.P FLY TY
March 26, 2012, 5:02 pm
mika from AQ says:
Its sad 2 have 2 lose a child my heart goes out 2 both parents its nothing u can really say cause its very hard. We have 2 learn how 2 become 1 n stop trying 2 kill eachother life is suppose 2 be full of joy n smiles not tears n heart broken ppl..... so beating on someone or jumping them will not change anything all it shoe is that u still have not learn anything come as 1 n stop all the hate that u guys are walking around wit...... R.I.P young TY.......
March 26, 2012, 5:44 pm
Kea from Astoria says:
Aww nitty. You will be truly missed. It hurts to see the good die young. You was a good dude, and my heart goes out to your family. To his son's mother stay strong for him, and yall son. I know it's gonna be a tough time, but you have to stay strong. To all of his friends stay strong as well. No one can ever forget his smile. He was a very nice dude. Miss You!!!
March 26, 2012, 8:39 pm
Kea from Astoria says:
March 26, 2012, 8:39 pm
king aka ras from i rep bk to queens says:
Shout to wise an family sorry for yur lost may god bless u an ties
March 26, 2012, 10:58 pm
punchy from aq says:
rip nitty on the beats. gone.but never forgotten. capricorn.love for life. both of.us became.parenta.d. and less of the parting. I am going to miss.you.man angel...
March 26, 2012, 11:35 pm
lance from astoria says:
I'm so hurt right now that words can never describe how I feel they have took my daughters brother and the only brother my son would ever know tysheem may not be physically mines but I help raise him as if he was mines I can't eat or sleep mind racing none stop in disbelief I can't except the fact that hes one
March 27, 2012, 12:26 am
J. Davis from bklyn crown heights says:
Damn ty! I can't believe you gone,I never thought I would have to bury my nephew!! Awww man! This is crazy,but I know you in a better place. Love you ty , uncle ke
March 27, 2012, 2:08 am
pumba from Astoria says:
dam yo r.i.p to the homie nitty
March 27, 2012, 9:59 am
Grizzlie from Astoria says:
crazy how things go down smh we lost the best wide receiver in the hood rest in peace Nitty aka Megatron
March 27, 2012, 3:50 pm
melmurda[twinblgd] from a.q says:
Tye r.i.p im not gonna act like i known u like that cause i dont but ya fam i know them n their loss is my loss,so rest well and ur name and legacy will live on!!! Melmurda.
March 27, 2012, 5:17 pm
Shante from Astoria Houses says:
My Prayers go out to the family especially the child that now will grow up not knowing his father. Understand the streets are not all to blame. You get what you put out their. Let's point the Blame on the parents. It starts at home. Men start taking care of your responsibilty. Ladies stop selling your life short. Respect yourselves. These kids are outside all times of night with no Supervision no Guidence. Just last month there was a huge fight with 2 females. One girl ended up with her face sliced. Their had to be 50-60 teens outside. Needless to say in the middle of a fight that lasted a good 15-20 minutes. Not one parent or adult of any of these kids were outside showing any concern. Yes we need to do more for our community. The help is out their. Everyone is givin the same opportunity to educate your selves. If you choose to join a gang, sell drugs, sleep around, be violent towards one another understand there are consequences and they are not going to be positive. It saddens me that another young man will not live another day. Another women will have to struggle as a single mother. A child will be fatherless and parents will have to indure a pain that is everlasting. Please young teens. STOP THE VIOLENCE!
March 28, 2012, 12:46 pm
Ashley from Astoria says:
TYSHEEN nothing will ever take this pain away I lost a brother.. Ppl say it's okay ur nt suffering but you were never suffering you life was taken away from you... I beat myself up knowin that I was being stubborn & we wasn't speaking for a year... We have soooo many memories that I will cherish forever I love you TYSHEEN Cassan Davis... My childhood sweetheart,bestfriend, brother life will never be the same without seeing those EYE BROWS LOL KING IN PEACE WITH MY MOTHER
March 28, 2012, 5:53 pm
D.J FANTASY from SOUTHSIDE/NORTHSIDE JAMAICA QUEENS says:
I KNOW THE FEELING THAT THIS FAMILY IS GOING THREW, I LOST MY NEPHEW "DARRYL ADAMS" 4 WEEKS AGO IN THE SOUTH JAMAICA HOUSES (40 p TO THE SAME SINCELESS CRIME. WHEN WILL THE YOUNG EVER GET THAT KILLING YOUR Bro/Sis IS WHAT THEY WANT TO HAPPEN..WE AS YOUNG BLACK MALES GET IT IN 3 WAYS 1. POLICE KILLINGS US 2. RACISM KILLING US & 3. WHERE KILLING OURSELVES... THERE'S A BIGGER WAR COMING & WE NEED ALL OF OUR SOLDIERS.. R.I.P
TYSHEEN.
March 29, 2012, 2:02 pm
Alaine Barnwell from Astoria says:
My heart goes out to the family, take it one day at a time...xoxo
March 29, 2012, 5:55 pm
fame from wack ass aq says:
Rip to the best call of duty player I knew personally....nitty403...... always goonna be my friend slime......
March 29, 2012, 10:13 pm
V.Sharon Bryant-Casillas from 27-05 and 1-04 says:
My condolences go out to your family. I didn't know you but I grew up with your parents. Saddens my heart because no parents should ever have to bury their child.
May 4, 2012, 6:43 pm
Maria from Queens says:
This is the only race that kill each other the most. I don't get it. What happened to the days of Martin Luther King?didn't he die for every black person in the united states? What is wrong with you people? What do you have to prove? It's not cool at all. I have a solution to this situation. Instead of giving people 1 year for carrying a gun, how about we give them 5-10 years? Or more. I'm sure that will scare them to stop the bull.
June 22, 2012, 1:06 am
RAH DIRT from AQ says:
Damn bro i think about u everyday.. u was a real coil dudr imy bro matterfact ily kip nitty
Dec. 17, 2012, 11:33 pm
Punch from AQ says:
Damn just coming across this article. Words cant explain how I feel to this day. I carry your picture everyday bro. High school days disecting frogs to seeing your smile and doing "our secret hand shake" I LOVE YOU... Next month makes a year. You up there with alot of other ppl I love and I hope you all chopping it up :) :(
Feb. 1, 2013, 7:20 pm
tracey from middletown ny says:
Moved upstate 3 years ago didn't know this happened rip nitty !!
Dec. 5, 2013, 8:30 am
free from brooklyn says:
I know carofor years its a shame what happened with her son if you knew carol he had issues he shouldn't of been around normal people!!i am so pissed and to nitty uncle joe i kmow you off the chain right now stay up bro rip nitty your in gods hands now and he will watch over your son luv ya
March 20, 3:35 pm