The Ironworkers Local Union No. 40 and 361 will conduct a recruitment from March 22 through May 24 for 100 ironworker outside apprentices.
Applications will be available at Local Union No. 40 and 361, at 35-23 36th St. in Astoria from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. Thursdays of each week, excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period.
All applications must be picked up in person, accompanied by a $25 testing fee (by money order only and payable to the Ironworkers JAC), a valid photo identification with proof of age and proof of completion of a high school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma.
A determination to waive this fee will be made if prior notification is received and determined to be of good reason. Failure to appear at any test will result in disqualification and forfeiture of the filing fee.
The committee requires that applicants:
• must be at least 18 years old, with proof required at time of application
• must have a high school diploma or GED, with proof required at time of application
• must take the JAC Ironworkers Local No. 40 and 361 Apprenticeship Committee Basic Skills Test
• must submit to a drug test after acceptance into the program, at the expense of the sponsor
• must take a physical task test and be able to climb up and down a column 35 feet in height, stand on a platform 14 feet in the air and pull a bucket that weighs 75 pounds up and down two times, raise and lower 2,000 pounds of steel 40 feet in the air with a chain fall in less than one minute 30 seconds and hold a 35-pound impact wrench at 14 different bolt locations for seven seconds each
For more information, contact your nearest state Labor Department office or 718-433-4195.
©2012 Community News Group
By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:
You agree that you, and not TimesLedger.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to TimesLedger.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.