Funeral arrangements planned for Dee Richard

Tributes poured in for Dee Richard, the borough’s legendary political columnist, who died Tuesday afternoon at her Beechhurst home after a brief illness. She was 86.

A longtime contributor to TimesLedger Newspapers, her “Dishing with Dee” column tracked the behind-the-scenes developments in the borough’s political circles and captured the public personas of Queens lawmakers in her photo pages. She also followed the borough’s social scene through her coverage of fund-raisers and parties at many of Queens’ watering holes.

“Dee was a fixture in Queens politics and the community and her column was a must-read for all of Queens,” said U.S. Rep. Joseph Crowley (D-Jackson Heights), chairman of the Queens Democratic Party. “But beyond her many contributions to the community, Dee was a wonderful person whose larger-than-life personality will be missed.”

Borough President Helen Marshall said, “Dee’s dry wit, sense of humor, creativity and knowledge of Queens, its government and politics combined to make her a welcome presence everywhere she went.”

Marshall said her coverage of events in both words and pictures for several Queens newspapers over the years “will be part of her lasting legacy.”

City Comptroller John Liu said Richard, “dubbed the gossip queen of Queens, will be sorely missed. Feisty and funny, she deftly chronicled — and at times skewered — the borough’s political life.”

She filed her last column and photo page, “Focus on Queens,” for TimesLedger Monday.

She is survived by her husband, Jim Darmos.

Viewing hours were scheduled at Gleason’s Funeral Home, at 149-20 Northern Blvd., Thursday and Friday from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. and from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. A funeral mass will be held Saturday at 9:30 a.m. at St. Andrew Avellino Church, at 35-60 158th St. in Flushing. Burial will follow at Nassau Knolls Cemetery in Port Washington, L.I.

Donations in her memory can be made to the American Heart Association.

— Roz Liston

Print this story

Sal Bacarella from Beechurst says:
Dee, you will be missed and loved!!
May 22, 2012, 10:42 pm
John Watch from Flushing says:
The angels open their arms today to welcome a beautiful sole into heaven. Dolores "Dee" Richard has left us, but we will never forget her smile, her wit, her charm and most importantly her love for our community. There will never be another "Dishing with Dee". God Bless your sole and smile down upon us Dee. We will all miss you. With all our love.
May 22, 2012, 11:51 pm
Dan Halloran from Auburndale says:
Much as this is a loss to our community... She inspired and enlivened all who knew her... Her light will never truly go out. Godsspeed you Dee, much love.
May 23, 2012, Midnight
Bob Bishop from Little Neck says:
Dear Jim -
Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Dee was dear to our community. In her words, she was one of the "good guys".
May 23, 2012, 1:42 am
Debra Markell from Whitestone says:
Dee was a great person, she loved life. Her passion was people. She was a good person with a big heart. She is a treasured friend and will be greatly missed!
May 23, 2012, 11:37 am
Russell Targove from Fresh Meadows says:
Everyone who knew this woman can tell you what a genuine, wonderful person she was. She was everywhere. Covering all types of stories, at so many of the events that I was entertaining at. She and her husband Jim have been the most delightful couple, as Jim is quite an entertainer in his own right. Dee will be sorely missed, but I guess that there was a call for the best photographer to cover the giant concert going on up in Heaven, starring Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Donna Summer and many other special guests, hosted by Dick Clark. She is in good company. G-d bless her, Jim and all of you.. She will be remembered always.. with every flash.. RT
May 23, 2012, 12:32 pm
Daniel Dromm from Jackson Heights says:
Dee was a star herself! She helped get gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people in the news at a time when very few people would cover our community. LGBT people owe much to Dee. She also gave me a lot of coverage, was always at our events and was a lot of fun to be with. She truly enjoyed being with us and we loved her dearly. Thanks, Dee, for all you did to promote LGBT rights. We miss you already.
May 23, 2012, 5:15 pm
Joseph Gravagna from rockland says:
Jim,
My thought and prayers are with you. Dee was amazing. Her impact on the community will never be replaced. When I started out in politics she was always their with her advice. I will never forget her impact on my life. Thank you Dee for every thing you will be missed.

May 23, 2012, 5:35 pm
Debra Caruso from Glen Cove says:
So sorry to hear this. Dee was a sweetheart.
May 23, 2012, 9:30 pm
Frank Padavan from Jamaica Estates says:
Throughout my years serving the local community and the many changes that came to pass, one element stayed true, and that was the steadfast and magnanimous presence of Dee Richards. Wherever there was a story to be told, an event to be covered, she was always at the forefront. Dee often took it upon herself to make a cause be known that may have otherwise been left untold. Personally, I am most grateful for the kindness she showed me, and in particular upon my departure from public service. I join with so many others in wishing to celebrate her memory and sending my heartfelt condolences to her husband, family, and friends. Frank Padavan. Former State Senator District 11, NY.
May 24, 2012, 4:57 am
Barbara Leonardi from Floral Park says:
Dee Richards is and will always be an Icon of Queens. Her tireless efforts in giving us the inside scoops on politics will be greatly missed. Barbara Leonardi. North Shore Towers
May 24, 2012, 10:26 am
Nayibe Núñez-Berger from Beechhurst says:
Dee Richards was a genuine, kind and generous person and she is already missed. Dee enjoyed covering Queen's events and we at the Latin American Cultural Center of Queens are forever grateful for her support and her friendship. Dee wanted her coverage of events to reflect the diversity of Queens and she went out of her way to be inclusive. Our deepest condolences to her husband and family.
May 24, 2012, 1:10 pm
Tino from Whitestone says:
So sorry to hear this. Dee was a nice lady
May 24, 2012, 4:29 pm
Mary Conaty from Flushing says:
Dee was able to paint a picture of the many events and people she covered with her words.She captured them and us with her camera, passion,personality and heart. She will be sorely missed. My sincere condolences to her husband, family and many friends.
May 24, 2012, 4:34 pm
Dan Peterson from Astoria says:
My thoughts are with Jim and his family at this time. Dee was a wonderful soul and we always said hello to one another when we attended the same events. Her kindness and writings will missed.
May 24, 2012, 5:50 pm
Mimi B. from Beechhurst says:
My heart is heavy with sadness at the passing of our own icon, Dee Richard. Her wit, charm and smarts are a few of the many graces she had and I send my sincerest condolences to her husband Jim and family, as well as the thousands of people who's lives she touched...

Rest in peace Dee; my Thursdays will never be the same without your "Dishing with Dee" column.
May 24, 2012, 6:41 pm
Joe & Betty Papillo from Trinity, Fl. says:
Dear Jim,
Betty and I were saddened to hear of Dee's passing. Dee as well as her Column will be sorely missed.She was a well respected member of the Queens community.
Our deepest sympathy goes out to you Jim.
Joe and Betty Papillo
May 24, 2012, 8:20 pm
Gregg P. Sullivan from Bayside says:
My beautiful Dee Richard, you and I had only just begun to be friends and you were just starting to coach me on my writing and public service activities. I can't believe I just lost my new friend. I will listen for you every time I write, and every time I'm about to address a public meeting Dee.

Thank you for what you shared of yourself with me ,
and with the whole community. You will sorely be missed.

Gregg
May 24, 2012, 9:48 pm
Anna Marinho from Bethlehem, PA says:
The "angel" will now be taking pix of all the "angels."
Loved you dearly, Dee. You were a great friend and
colleague to me.
May 27, 2012, 1:28 pm
Jun Policarpio from Douglas Manor says:
It will never be too late to say a good word about the late Dee Richard who covered most of my 2004 and 2008 congressional campaigns for the former 5th District of New York. When I last saw a glimpse of her in downtown Flushing, I never thought that she was already in her mid80s. I treated her like somebody who just retired and decided to work as a photojournalist as an avocation. She must have nurtured a strong mind, a strong heart, and a good soul. I cannot forget her because she described the wedding of my daughter at Oheka Castle some years ago as "a fairy tale wedding." I believe she is better off where she is now compared to us left behind in this imperfect world. God bless her soul.
June 5, 2012, 6:10 pm