St. Alban’s Allen Christian School closes after 30 years

Ziana Santana's (l.) and Shania Sue's shirts are covered with the names of their friends on the final day of classes at the Allen Christian School before it shuts its doors for good. Photo by Rich Bockmann

Students at St. Alban’s Allen Christian School spent their final day in class last week because due to financial difficulties, the school is closing after 30 years, at 171-10 Linden Blvd.

“It was the best school in southeast Queens,” said Monica Campbell, who had been a teacher at the school for 10 years.

“The rapport we built up with our parents and students and the achievements we accomplished have set the standard for schools in the community,” she said.

Campbell walked out of the school at the end of the day with two of her students, whose shirts were covered with the signatures of their friends.

“I’m going to miss my teachers, the activities and my friends,” said Shania Sue.

She and her friend, Ziana Santana, have both made plans to attend different Catholic schools next year before they apply to high schools.

Both girls are heavily involved in school activities and are members of the National Junior Honors Society.

The Rev. Floyd Flake, pastor of the Greater Allen A.M.E. Cathedral and founder of the school, said the school had to be closed due to financial strains.

“The problem is that it is church-based,” he said recently on NY1. “And so we made a decision that we could no longer take the church’s money and put it in the school while we had the responsibility carrying the church itself. And with two mortgages, we had to make a decision about which one should go.”

“It’s a heartbreak, really, to not operate it going forward because this is a school where my seventh- and eighth-graders are scoring 10 and 11 on the Stanfords and my eighth-graders ... are sought out by just about every high school in Queens,” he said. “It’s been phenomenal.”

The Eagle Academy for Young Men, operated by the 100 Black Men, will move from its current home in IS 59 in Springfield Gardens and take over the Allen school’s building.

Flake said the building has a capacity for 700 students, which will allow the academy to grow from sixth- through eighth-grade all the way up to high school.

“I think that’s great for the boys in southeast Queens,” he said. “They’ve just taken a significant portion of the population that needs to be addressed, and that is under-achieving African-American boys, and I think that is a great thing.”

“If I had to replace it with something, I think this is the best thing in the world,” Flake said.

The Eagle Academy was named last week by Mayor Michael Bloomberg as one of 40 schools leading the way in closing the achievement gap for young black and Latino men and better preparing them for college.

Reach reporter Rich Bockmann by e-mail at rbockmann@cnglocal.com or by phone at 718-260-4574.

naomi from queens village says:
i was there ziana is my best friend
June 30, 2012, 4:44 pm
Shania from Queens New York says:
You were not there Naomi
June 30, 2012, 11:48 pm
Shania from Queens New York says:
You were not there Naomi
June 30, 2012, 11:48 pm
LYNAYA who attended Allen from ... says:
I loved that school and everyone in it, you all were truly one in a million. I had so many memories and childhood memories here. I wish it didn't have to end that way. Allen Christian school will forever be in my heart. #ms Thompson #ms bartholomew #ms. Phillips #mr. Mac #ms. Taylor #ms. Mckoy 2-7 grade teachers. *mauh*
July 2, 2012, 2:20 am
Naomi from queens says:
yeaaa i go to allen shania
July 4, 2012, 11:46 am
Maya from Queens says:
I went to this school since pre school. This school was practically my home. R.I.P Allen
July 6, 2012, 11:22 am
naomi from queensvillage says:
I am all ways gonna miss Allen probably not all the teacher but my friends
Aug. 29, 2012, 8:53 pm
Dalilah from Queens says:
I'm going to really miss that school and everyone in it. Even the teachers, R.I.P. Allen forever.(i miss you buddy/Maya and Camille)
Nov. 23, 2012, 10:54 pm
devone harp from manhattan says:
I graduated from this school in 2006 i went there from
3rd to 8th grade and it was so much fun.Great people,great teachers and great basketball team too.I loved my team and its just so sad to see this great school close :(
Dec. 5, 2012, 9:30 am
Nia from queens says:
I miss that Skool so much!! It was the greatest school i ever went to
Dec. 9, 2012, 8:29 pm
nicholas balfour from queens says:
the best school in the entire world! I miss all my friends definetly Ms. Campbell. Luv you Allen Christian School and everyone in it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
March 15, 2013, 4:02 pm
bri from queens says:
i graduated from here in 2009. i attended it from 2-8 grade. this was the best school. i really miss #biski #mac #anderson #lewis #lee #baker #depass #jamieson #bartholomew #kirnon #brown. they will forever be in my heart
May 11, 2013, 10:13 pm
John McMahon from Minden, Louisiana says:
Three of my children attended Allen Christian School, one graduated, and my wife, Andrea and I were on the Parents' Association until we moved to Louisiana. We loved it and are sorry that they didn't convert it into a Charter School. It was a gem on Merrick Blvd. Do you remember what Merrick Blvd was like before it?
God bless the Flakes, the administrators and the teachers....everyone! :-)
Dec. 27, 2013, 10:27 pm
Marc-Anthony aka the lion from Queens,NY says:
I miss Allen. I spent my whole life their since pre-school. Allen was my 2nd home. boooooooooooooooooooooooo that's me crying and I love allen
May 8, 11:11 pm