Man dies at LIC gas station after fight, employee arrested

Police investigate the death of 28-year-old Oscar Arzeno. Photo by Christina Santucci

A 28-year-old Flushing man was killed Thursday during a fight at a Long Island City gas station after he attacked an employee who was defending himself, the gas station owner said.

Police received a 911 call at around 6 a.m. Thursday morning about an assault at the Gulf station at 53-26 Van Dam St., authorities said. When the officers got to the scene, they saw Oscar Arzeno, of Franklin Avenue and Saull Street, lying unconscious and unresponsive on the pavement of Van Dam Street, police said.

An employee, who the gas station owner Jervail Singh identified as his 28-year-old nephew Jesse Singh, is currently in custody. Jesse Singh had not been charged with any crime as of Tuesday afternoon.

Arzeno was later taken to Elmhurst Hospital Center, where he was pronounced dead on arrival, police said.

“He was protecting himself,” said 40-year-old P.J. Pecorino, a friend of Singh’s. “I’m sorry the guy died.”

Jervail Singh, who has owned the Gulf station for 23 years and has been in the business for 30 years, said he had heard the incident occurred when Arzeno came to the station drunk around 4:30 a.m. and tried to get some money out of the ATM machine. When it would not disperse money, Arzeno argued with Jesse Singh, who was working early Thursday morning.

After the argument, Arzeno went outside near the pumps and began chasing away the customers, Jervail Singh said. According to the gas station owner, the confrontation started when Jesse Singh went out to help a customer at one of the pump stations and Arzeno punched him. Jesse Singh fought back. At one point Arzeno ripped out a pump and hose and tried to hit him with it. The fight continued out into the street until Arzeno fell down, Jervail Singh said.

“This is 100 percent self-defense,” Jervail Singh said. “My guy never had no record all his life.”

Raj Kumar, 41, another employee, said Jesse Singh never had an incident at the gas station.

“I see him all the time working hard here,” Kumar said. “It’s not an easy job.”

Police closed down Van Dam Street between 35th Street and Review Avenue, which created a huge bottleneck of cars and trucks trying to get through either road or drive over the nearby John Jay Byrne Bridge.

Jervail Singh said while people have died at gas stations across the city, he did not believe the job was inherently perilous.

“It’s not a dangerous job because I’ve been doing it all my life,” he said.

Reach reporter Rebecca Henely by e-mail at rhenely@cnglocal.com or by phone at 718-260-4564.

Juan rivas from Flushing says:
This is messed up man. The man was drunk why did he have to put him on a choke hold? That guy should get life. He should've called the cops instead of going out the store looking for trouble. So sad. Rest In peace Oscar. May god bless your daughter.
Sept. 7, 2012, 1 am
Andres from Corona says:
I think the guy should be awarded a medal - just because the guy was drunk doesn't mean he has the right to start problems. One less idiot on the streets of NYC!
Sept. 7, 2012, 9:57 am
Raj Thomas from Bronx! says:
Feeling bad for Jesse and Arzeno daughter. She gona live life with out her dad. I guess its better cause her dad is a coke dealer who was busted for that. He won a settlement against cops and this is how he was turning his life around! Remember he assaulted Jesse not the other way around. BTW what the hell is Arzeno doing drunk in a gas station at 4 am?? He invited his own death.
Sept. 7, 2012, 11:15 am
Arzeno Family from Queens says:
First of all mr raj Thomas who are you? I'm his cousin and it's disgusting that you would even make such a comment about him!!!!!! He is a father of 2 children FYI that did win a settlement for a 2006 police brutality, you should update yourself and use google!!! And do your research.. He had just came out from his mothers birthday party and was suppose to leave back to Florida that same day for your information... How dare you speak about the dead without being present!!!! Rip !!! And god bless my aunt and his wife my niece and nephew and forgive this ignorant individual who obviously has no compassion!!
Jesse you took a father away from 2 kids and a husband away from a wife a son away from a mother!!! For what to show off your delayed martial arts. And what did you gain out of killing him? Why not call the police? Of coarse I saw both videos from both cameras you clearly followed him to the point of being in his way and he reacted in self defense my cousin not you !!!! You kept going after he ran to the streets away frOm the gas station and killed him by putting him on chokehold !!!and asked to have him tied after he didn't respond!!!! That makes you a killer and murderer and a home wrecker. The ATM did not dispense the cash why not assist him ? To see if the machine is jammed ? Or call the 1800 number? Of coarse a person who has no brain reacts the way you did. As for you Raj be slandering and making false accusations is against the law especially when you dOnt obtain the evidence !!!! Have respect !!!!
Sept. 7, 2012, 1:43 pm
Arzeno Family from Queens says:
She was daddys little girl !!!! And he was an awesome father!!!! No she and my nephew are not better off. And justice will be made.
Sept. 7, 2012, 1:46 pm
Edwardo from Corona says:
Have to agree with Andres definitely one less idiot on the streets of NYC for sure. Ghandi over there does not have to serve ya, he has a right to refuse service does not mean you have to throw a punch at him.
Arzeno is a disgrace and deserved it.
Sept. 7, 2012, 2:24 pm
Steven Safran from NY says:
If this is not poetic justice I don't know what is. The guy was trying to withdraw money he got from a police brutality lawsuit and then this. This really shakes my faith as an atheist;-).
Every cop involved in the prior incident must feel pretty vindicated.
Sept. 7, 2012, 2:55 pm
Kirk Rankin from Sacremento College says:
This idiot sucker punched a professional fighter. That automatically sent Walia into defend your life mode. The fact that the initial fight spilled out onto the parking lot shows the attacker was not "persuaded" by the initial self defense moves. The attacker kept fighting, and the defender had to escalate his defense tactics as by this time it was obvious the attacker was not going to stop. In my opinion Mr. Walia was doing nothing but protecting his life.
Sept. 7, 2012, 2:57 pm
Steve Sofia from University of Southern Mississippi says:
He can STILL be buried in Florida and his desire to move there will be satisfied, albeit, in a pine box.Good riddance.
Sept. 7, 2012, 3:10 pm
Michael Ian Wright from University of Southern Mississippi says:
Mr Walia should immediately file a lawsuit against the family.
Sept. 7, 2012, 3:11 pm
joe from bronx says:
The killer attacked me ,three mouths ago h.he punched me in my face and blood came out of my nose .He told me he will —— me up that he is a pro fighter ,when l called the police , the police wrote me a ticket for disoderly conduct ,me the victim who call and was wound by jesse singh .now you see he killed someone .l have pictures of how my nose was broken and police will not hear me. Jesse need a drug test , police and 911 unite can check 5-31-12 report at 10.10am.my email is jonathanoberko@yahoo.com.
Sept. 7, 2012, 4:23 pm
joe from bronx says:
Sept. 7, 2012, 4:23 pm
BELLA81 from BRONX says:
Self defense? more like over kill, jess is an a-hole who I hope that Oscars family Rallies until their last breath.... Jesse deserves to burn... no good bastard... looks like he had a fever...a fever to show off his "fighting skills" bastard!!! no good, he needs to be put away for good.
Sept. 7, 2012, 4:44 pm
Arzeno family from Queens says:
Bella thank you:'( and you sir are the disgrace !!!!eduardo
Nice to say when he is not here huh!!! Jonathan I will need that info it will help my family and gOd bless for sharing that and justice will be served for you and my family !!!!! And for you Steve Sofia may god free you from any hurt and bless you with a long life and for you never to be buried in a pinebox !!! For those of who all of assume you know who he was and to speak nowhopefully you will be a valiant individual and pass by and look at the faces of the loved ones who are mourning his loss and say those exact words. No one deserves to die for no reason he was beaten to death and tied after he was unresponsive !!! Thats murder !!! No matter what shape or form !!! So if
you don't know what happened or who he was don't make speculations without knowing the facts !!! Again a life was taken just like it could have been me or you !!!! That makes it wrong the killer is not god to determine to beat the life out of a person that makes him scum and not human. God forbid this on you Eduardo or any of your loved ones!!!! He was a awesOme dad to his kids and a good son!!! We all are not perfect and Eduardo neither are being from 11368. Please the ounce of respect you have left in you have it for my family and his children, because you sound just as a bad as the killer !!!
Sept. 7, 2012, 5:40 pm
Edwardo from Corona says:
I am a disgrace? I beg to differ, as a matter of fact my I still remember as a kid my uncle owning a bodega and getting robbed by our own people. Oh ya, I remember something very similar to what happened with Jesse except my uncle gave the money and proceeded to get pistol whipped. Our own people are a disgrace.

We respect no one, we say we have pride in ourselves and our culture etc... but at the end of the day all we are and looked upon are just spics.
We have ourselves to thank for that. I will take back everything I said about Oscar and even call up the family personally and give my apologies if you or someone tell me why the hell he threw the 1st punch.
Sept. 7, 2012, 7:01 pm
Moneystak from Queens says:
A lot of hate from ppl on this comments, which is a form of ignorance and stupidity.have some RESPECT for the deceased "when Death calls upon U would u like the same response,Think!!the killer is 100% wrong,he followed him off the gas station property.that's when he became the aggressor and he used his knowledge of martial art(pressure points of attack to kill the man when he was no longer a threat .I hope justice is served because his settlement has nothing to do with it
Rip pone!! Rip baby J!!
Sept. 7, 2012, 7:13 pm
Arzeno family from Queens says:
That's exactly how we feel about you !!!!! Eduardo he was followed through out the gas station, the killer didnt leave him alone the killers brother watched the whole time!!!! Watch the video on daily news !!!! Educate yourself discriminating on your on kind... Shame on you big time !!! We knew it another hater!!!! Yes please do apologize and don't be a hypocrite!!! Wow true colors do come out when you pass. May god forgive you and Oscar to
Sept. 7, 2012, 8:01 pm
J from Brooklyn says:
I now the gas stations worker,and he is a trouble maker.the family of arzeno should look in to that guy is record.i used to pum gas in that stations and because of him,I non longer go there.
Sept. 7, 2012, 8:02 pm
Benrock from Queens says:
Doesnt matter if he was drunk or if he was a coke dealer all that matters is that he is a father of 2 kids. Yes he threw a punch but Jesse is a big boy and defended himself easily....but the moment Arzeno ran away and Jesse chased him down he then became the aggressor. So yea justice will come. I see myself in Jesse also cause I would probably want to beat his ass too but after I land a few blows and kicks and the guy runs away then at that point I win you lose...should've let him run away...so to all you blog tough guys leave the guy in peace... Regardless of his imperfections and wrongdoings he did have 2 kids and if you ask those 2 kids he was a great dad...that's all that counts....and Jesse you not tough. You chased down a guy that ran away from you...and from reading on here seems like you always picked on those you felt you had upper hand on....your day is coming soon brotha!!!!! Be ready...
Sept. 7, 2012, 8:06 pm
J from Brooklyn says:
He did the same to my friend from work,but my friend body slam him to the floor.and the company that we work for stop us from putting gas at that gas stations.
Sept. 7, 2012, 8:11 pm
J from Brooklyn says:
You can see on the video that the gas clerk wanted to fight,because he came out of the office and went after arzeno...the same way he follow my friend,and they got in to a fight.
Sept. 7, 2012, 8:27 pm
v from bklyn says:
He got what was coming to him.jesse u did the right thing,got rid of a piece of ——...........
Sept. 7, 2012, 9:06 pm
v from bklyn says:
watch the video,the jerk should of left ....he would of been alive ,,,,i guess he found his match,,he should of used some of that money 4 fighting lessons,,,,one less punk;;;;;;;;;;;
Sept. 7, 2012, 9:27 pm
J from Brooklyn says:
V from Brooklyn,because of people like you is that people like Jesse do what they do...chase and kill is not the same as self defense.
Sept. 7, 2012, 9:30 pm
v from bklyn says:
ur friend must of been a jerk to..get fighting lessons,, while u can go jessie balboa ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;rockyyyyyyyy''
Sept. 7, 2012, 9:30 pm
v from bklyn says:
we got ur back jessie'''''''
Sept. 7, 2012, 9:33 pm
Ben from Brooklyn says:
Yea Jesse they all got your back.... In jail too..good luck
Sept. 7, 2012, 9:36 pm
v from bklyn says:
with a name like ben don't go to jail,cause you'll get ben;;;;;;;
Sept. 7, 2012, 9:39 pm
J from Brooklyn says:
I do now the guy because I used to go every day to that gas stations.and I now that he likes to fight...in the video you can see that he is waiting for a little thing to star the fight.
Sept. 7, 2012, 9:40 pm
v from bklyn says:
hey ben did jessie kick ur butt;
Sept. 7, 2012, 9:40 pm
This Is wrong from Brooklyn says:
Who gives You the right to take a life . Justice should be served
Sept. 7, 2012, 9:58 pm
Joe from Queens says:
The dude came in high off his behind. Didn't even let the gas attendant pump gas for other customers. Kept asking for a fight. Then hit him. He got what he asked for. And the attendant didn't kill him. He died later. Prob from effects of some overdose and the little sleeper. The sleeper doesn't kill people. If he wanted to kill him. He would have bashed his head open. Not save his life by putting in a sleeper and calling the cops
Sept. 7, 2012, 10:16 pm
Edwardo from Corona says:
Your boy Arzeno was looking for a fight and he got one. The rule is in retail usually is if they get out dont chase them. This guy works in a gas station for god knows how long having listen to verbal abuse by customers, being lied to and cheated by customers, and probably violently abuse. I mean I watch true TV and I see what gas station employees and retail workers go through. Hell i saw what happened to my uncle I was there in the next room
(bathroom).

If a guy like Jesse Singh put scum bags like the ones complaining too bad, dunt go back. Small business Owners need peace of mind and not have to deal with scum 24/7. If Arzeno was any type of man/human being he would of learn to love one another and no go punching someone drunk or not.

We just saw a couple of days ago where African guy working in a gas station was held up and shot and killed. Arzeno family won a —— load of Money why dont the Arzeno family put a side some of that for the African guy family back home. Especially since your boy was a putz and went on heckling this dude for a fight.

Jesse was prolly telling to get a way this drunk ass could of set the place on fire, can you imagine that? Set the gas station on fire explode a few buildings kill a few people. Good Riddance.

Maybe of Oscar was educated he would of still be alive! And since yall not give me a good reason as to why he threw the 1st punch on Jesse kiss ma apology good by.
I know yall hurting but take this as a lesson and raise the next generation properly. I am tired of seeing my latin brothers and sisters dead and worse in jail.
Sept. 7, 2012, 11 pm
Edwardo from Corona says:
BTW I had seen the Video still dunt change my mind. No matter how many times I seen Oscar had no business throwing that punch, he was not assaulted he was the assaulter. And old saying when you mess with the bull you get stuck by the horn. Peace out!
Sept. 7, 2012, 11:05 pm
Joe again from Queens says:
He should have backed off. When he ran he should have kept running not turning back to see if he was in position to swing again. Self defense. No reason this dude should have tried to cause sparks at a gas station. Grow up. U have kids and a wife. Well had. Bet in his next life he won't be so stupid. You don't see Indian people going around cause problems and being loud and obnoxious for no reason. This guy thought he could bully Jess. But he picked the wrong guy. Whose fault is that. Jess is a sweetheart.
Sept. 7, 2012, 11:33 pm
l from queens says:
dude was coming from the strip club...some dad he is !
Sept. 8, 2012, 12:54 am
Problem from NYC says:
Edwardo and Joe U2 are just worthless crap,leave your opinion in your in your head and have some compassion for the man who was respected by his family and kids.U don't matter ,u weren't there so please shut the —— Up!!!and remember Ny is a dangerous place so dont count your day be4 it's done every1 of us are headed to the same place ,DEATH!!!!!! & yours my be alot worse crap!!!!
Sept. 8, 2012, 1:39 am
LOL @ Oscar Arezeno from Midtown says:
I take this attack personally, as I've had my elderly parents attacked by thugs while they were at their jobs. Mind you, my parents are the kindest people with the biggest hearts. Now how did that vile individual Oscar even consider himself an adult, let alone a FATHER .. pathetic! He was probably the product of a failed school system and mass parental neglect, what else can you expect? This is all personal stuff, and is beside the point. What matters is that this thug picked the wrong guy to mess with, and got his a*s beaten to death hahaha!!! I'm glad this blithering moron is now 6 feet deep. I would love to find his grave and take a hot dump over it. We may be laughing at this dweeb now, but imagine if he had done this to your own family member, who knows no self defense? How would it make you feel? If he had tried to pull this stunt on my elderly parents, I would have walked up with a baseball bat and smashed his skull into 200 pieces, before having his body mutilated and sent to his failure parents. I'm going easy on him. There are people who would like to clone this guy, and kill him a 1000 times lolol.
Sept. 8, 2012, 4:40 am
Arzeno Family from Queens says:
God will take charge on judging Eduardo not you!!! You all now what to start popping stuff now that he is dead you are pathetic. His daughter has not stop crying for her daddy !!!!! You guys want to taint who he was so be it, im PRETTY CERTAIN YOU WOULD BE GIVING HIM POUNDS IF HE WAS ALIVE!!!!! thats is makes 5 of you hypocrites!!!!!! Eduardo you are one of them...Even if you had an apology it would be worthless!!!!JUst like you and even else who are not considering my families emotions and their children. His daughter is old enough to read !!!!! So watch what you say. His son keeps asking when is coming home !!!!!! Oscar was our aunts first child !!!! Eduardo you are not a saint yourself !!!!! and neither are bodega owners in Corona!!!!!! Dont come close to our family during these hard times....First of all to LOL he had joint custosdy for both kids!!!! they were well provided for, which is clearly none of your business to bring up and he was not the so called product of failure do your research !!!!! his mother cried last night with these comments !!!!!!!! TALKING ABOUT SOMEONE DEAD IS PATHETIC DISGUSTING AND DISRESPECTFUL. WATCH CHANNEL 41 UNIVISION IT SHOWED HOW OUR COUSIN WAS CHASED AND BEATEN TO DEATH. AND HOW MADE V AN EXAMINER FOR AUTOPSY !!!!!!!! THE TRUTH WILL COME OUT AND IT HAS SOOOO WATCH WHAT YOU SAY !!!!!

J MY FAMILY IS VERY GREATFUL FOR YOU ALLOWING YOURSELF TO PROVIDE PROOF MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND WE SENT YOU AN EMAIL. PLEASE RESPOND !!!!

fINALLY I WISH YOU ALL REGARDLESS OF YOU HYPOCRISY AND IGNORANCE A LONG HEALTHY LIFE FILLED WITH ENDLESS BLESSINGS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY
Sept. 8, 2012, 9:53 am
V from BKLYN says:
Yo j if someone punch u in the face what would u do.
Sept. 8, 2012, 12:49 pm
Benrock from Queens says:
Hey V from Brooklyn. 1117 cypress avenue. In queens. Come bend me over. There you have it blog people. My address given to Mr V.....come visit me so we can discuss our feelings on this matter...lol. Yea yea I know you gonna respond with some calling me names, or threats or whatever but regardless on your response you have mine Mr V from Brooklyn. And to Eduardo... He threw the first punch cause he was a drunk idiot bro. But after that Jesse whipped his ass real quick. There was no need to chase him down after he ran away from getting a beat down. Did he deserve a quick beat down I say hell yea. I would have done the same as Jesse..but to chase down and do more makes no sense and eventually lead to his death and now that it was ruled a homicide Jesse has some real problems to face over it...
Sept. 8, 2012, 7:03 pm
magaly from the bronx from bronx says:
I think it was a very bad way of killing someone that was drunk, I havnt seen him in years but my family and has have been friends for over 30yrs. No one decerves to die the way he did, if he was already on the street and out of the gas station then he was trying to get away from that killer, rip - pachi
Sept. 8, 2012, 7:55 pm
Arzeno family from Queens says:
Thank you magaly !!!! I'll let my aunt know!!!
And V ever heard of two wrongs don't make a right !!!
If everyone was to see the other videos you would see jesse starting !!!! And for those of you who don't read its already called out as a homicide !!!!! Watch the news !! And no he did not deserve to die. Just like the mothers to those babies don't deserve to have their father dead and deserve to tell their kids daddy is not coming back!!!! Think about that. Also there are reports against him for assault w colleagues do yOur Research !!!!!!! He was let free and ended up killing a man that was on his way back to his family !!!! Don't be a judge until you go through it yourself !!! And now one is a doctor to determine if he was entoxicated or not !!! And it was already informed it was a homicide!!! I hope he pays for all the pain he has caused my family !!!! And to the others he himself assaulted
Sept. 8, 2012, 9:02 pm
Mike from Bavaria says:
I hate to post inflammatory comments or rile readers up, but one thing I keep reading from these comments is that drunkard perpetrator is innocent simply because he ran away at the end. He tried to escape to save his OWN ass from getting violently beaten to a bloody pulp, because he wasn't expecting the clerk to give him a taste of his own medicine. This doesn't prove his innocence, it only proves his coward mentality. The great irony here is that he appeared to act like a big tough street dude, but actions speak louder than words. If you throw the first punch, you best finish what you started. That's how we do it in the streets. As far as I'm concerned, he was a wankster that made a failed attempt to flee because HE HAD NO BALLS to stand ground and fight like a man! It doesn't change the fact that he took the first swing, was attacking him with the gas pumps, harassing customers, out of control and God only knows how much trash he must have yelled to the clerk. Mind you, just the night before, a guy walked into a Bronx gas station and killed the clerk. All over America, poor gas station clerks are killed every day after some crazed psycho comes in and kills them in cold blood. The clerk was obviously scared, and didn't want to end up another statistic. He may not have intended to kill him but very obviously meant only to protect himself and even acted correctly and called the cops first. There are no winners here, just two broken families. While I do empathize with his kids, I will not extend that courtesy to him. Anybody with a penis can bring children into the world. This alone doesn't make him fit to be a father. This was a previously convicted criminal, what was he doing causing trouble drunk 4am at a gas station? This is the kind of person that breeds more irresponsible trash. At least his children will be less tempted to follow in his foot steps.
Moral of the story? Don't act like a damn fool and this story wouldn't have happened. But you gotta admit, the story had a happy ending. Don't even bother spending tax payer money to investigate. Throw his carcass on a trash heap, and give the brave clerk a badge of honor. Perhaps have him teach self defense to kids so that they can hold their own against these plastic wanksters who can't hold their liquor (though I doubt Oscar will ever drink again).
This is how I treat what happened, and I do not apologize for my views.
Sept. 9, 2012, 1:43 am
MGil from Upper Eastside says:
Throw his carcass on a trash heap? Seriously, what is wrong with you? I know for a fact his kids loved him dearly; I was with his daughter the day before this happened; the day before her first day at her new school. The next day I was consoling her mother while she tried to figure out how she was going to tell her this. I don't care what he did or didn't do; all I care about are his kids, who adored him. And before you all start talking smack he didn't have kids all over the place. 2 long term relationships, one kid from each. Not that it's any of your business. Regardless, before one starts putting in such comments, maybe one should consider the feelings of the families first. RIP Oscar, I'll continue picking up outfits for your little girl! And to the Arzeno family: my prayers are with you all. Stop reading the comments of these ignorant people; they will drive you crazy.
Sept. 9, 2012, 4:25 pm
v from bklyn says:
i agree with mike
Sept. 9, 2012, 5:28 pm
Arzeno family from Queens says:
Animals such as V or Mike are the ones that shouldn't be allowed to be part of a civilized society! You both speak as you knew him soooo well. He loved both his children. Oh wait look at that I said 2 kids from 2 relationships that he had only Wooowwwww. You both shouldn't speak without knowing the fact cuz apparently you don't even know the correct time that it happened. V hopefully god will forgive you for saying he deserved to die and bless you with an endless life !!! And never to have your life cut short!! And since you are such a saint yourself and never had a record or misconduct at any point of your life then you don't deserve to read this article. Jesse clearly on a updated video started getting in his face !!! And didn't stop chasing him and even chased him on a public street and killed at that public street leaving him on the ground like a dog!!! With cars and trucks passing by !!! Any intelligent person with cerebral capacity would say that Jesse crossed the line big time !!!!! And commited murder !!! It's already ruled as homicide for his neck being strangulated!!! You and mike are two poor excuse of people that obviously have no heart for our family! I hope never to hear that you guys ever get caught up in the same situation and leave two kids behind!!!! You both never knew or met him and should judge and slander his character or person!!!! Jesse is going to say bs because my cousin is dead !!! And the dead cant speak but know with medical examiners and updated footage this horrific, miserable human being will pay the price through the justice system !!!! You wait and see we will fight this to the very end !!! And V and Mike don't spit too high, we never know when it's our turn!!!
Sept. 10, 2012, 9:09 am
J from Brooklyn says:
Jessie,get ready to fight for you life in jail.
Sept. 10, 2012, 4:08 pm
J from Brooklyn says:
Thi is to the family of arzeno:do not stop until justice is serve.
Sept. 10, 2012, 4:13 pm
Raj from White plains says:
That was not self defense. He killed him and it's now ruled a homicide. And honestly, to those bad talking about the dead guy, that is not right.
Sept. 10, 2012, 11:59 pm
My fellow coworker knew arzeno from Queens says:
I feel that justice has not been served yet.. i had personally seen the video and arzeno was leavig and running away and the man followed him to then get him in the choke hold. The first thing taught to you in martial arts is that it is not to be used for agression and should only be used as self defense. i think jesse should face charges and who knows maybe arzeno got what he deserved, but i bet almost everyone in this lobby has been drunk and bulligerant atleast once in their life. i believe you feel like you should have died for those things you did those nights! think before all of you speak. you shouldnt wish death upon anyone even if they were being drunk and agressive! remember thats why we have Police Officers and thats why its a universal number (911). if you decide to take matters in your own hands you should be ready to face the concequences!!
Sept. 11, 2012, 11:36 am
MGil from UES says:
Thank you! Oscar was clearly trying to get away- there are 2 videos and they both show that. Anyone that claims they have never been weirdly aggressive when drunk at one time or another is a liar. We've all had our moments. This guy left a locked bullet proof booth to go after him. He should've stayed in and called the cops if it was that bad. The car that came for gas came after he was out of the booth so he's clearly lying about that part as well as many other things I'm sure. It takes a lot of force to crush someone's neck; my husband is an MMA fighter and he agreed it was excessive, angry use of force and if he had to subdue someone (he didn't, OA was running away) he could've easily done it. But he was excessive and now my favorite little girl has lost her dad. I know it's been ruled a homicide, but has this guy been charged yet?? Anyone know? If not, and you're a family member, get my email from his daughter's mom. I'll have it looked into, but I don't want to overstep my boundaries without being told by the family it is OK to do so!
Sept. 11, 2012, 11:20 pm
Mike from Bavaria says:
Mike checking in again. No I've never started getting belligerent after I got drunk, neither does anyone else that I know. They say that alcohol reveals ones true personality, so if what we saw in the video is Oscar's true personality, he must have had similar episodes in the past, and should have seeked some psych help and counseling. It was only a matter of time before he would meet his match. I refer you to Dave Chappelle's famous skit "When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong". This is no laughing matter, but it has the exact same implications in real life.
Also, the fact that it's been ruled a homicide doesn't change anything I said. I don't believe it was right for Jesse to kill him. All I said was that he had good reason to be scared for his own life. Whether or not he he used excessive force is for the judge to decide, and Jesse should get jail time accordingly.
Now regarding my first post, I realize my post was out of line for Oscar's family to be reading at this point in time. I got a little emotional, and got distracted. I won't lie, watching this video hit me hard, just like it did for everyone else. I don't care who you are. We all know an innocent person who has been senselessly attacked, or even killed. Or maybe you know someone who got bullied endlessly in school. Everyone connects with a story where the underdog gets revenge on the bully. That's why this is a popular theme used in movies. This is why everyone who wrote on this page (except his family and a baby momma) loved watching this video, but of course this shouldn't result in character assassination, nor does it mean we should condone killing Oscar, so I apologize for that on behalf of the other thoughtless posts on this page. I wish better days for everyone involved.
Sept. 12, 2012, 1:18 am
Arzeno family from Queens says:
Look the saddest I've ever had to watch was my niece and nephew mourn over their daddy!!! My nephew said last night why we can't go home with him!!! That poor excuse of a murderer should not be able to enjoy the American freedom given to us!!! He should not be anywhere near humans at that because he lost control and acted like a savage, because animals can be respected and trained and have more brain. We all fight for the same thing in our nation which are freedom liberty and justice. If we take that away in this particular case then that makes us hypocrites!!!! I believe in justice and that justice is going to be served... He will pay for what he did. For anyone who wants to continue slandering, and talk nonsense about Oscar, you sit tight and watch how the truth will evolve and come out. And the actual " people " on this page that genuinely "knew" my cousin and has supported the fam thank you for sticking out for him!!! Bloods thicker than water and I will defend our name to the very end. His children carry it and my family will not allow no one to slander it. Their daddy was good and they love their daddy ask baby moms above ^....she already addressed it. However for those that want to talk about him negatively know that he is not face to face : lots of shame to you !!! No matter who or what you are or what condition your in no one deserves to get beaten to death and may god always protect you and by reading your comment your going to need lots of blessings for your nasty heart and mouth !!!! Oscar RIP know your with papa Luis and see you in paradise !!!! The sun has set on you but your rise will come soon . God bless the kids and give strength to the BM's to overcome this tragedy!!!!
Sept. 12, 2012, 9:22 pm
Arzeno family from Queens says:
Negative words develop from a negative mind, and a negative mind originates from an evil heart. Lastly for those certain individuals that smiled in his face and made those comments above and prayed last night with us infront of that coffin. I wish you could say the exact words that you said to his childrens face and to his mother. At least that would make you more respectable. However, may god bless you and give you a long life and nothing but success to you.
Sept. 12, 2012, 9:39 pm
AJ from Queens says:
To the Arzeno family (only): Has the autopsy been completed and the gas station attendant criminally charged? If not, is there a way we can speak offline without posting our contact information so that it is publically accessible? Thanks.
Oct. 12, 2012, 7:33 am
Rey from Corona says:
Man, if you go out drunk to fight, at least carry a firearm so if the crap hits the fan you can start shooting like a maniac.
This bum should of done that, if he were a real dealer he would be strapped 24/7, that dothead would of been dead on the street.
Bullies enjoy this kind of action and I'm sure he is proud of that, he is probably bragging about it until one day some maricone will blow his hindu arse away.
Nov. 1, 2012, 12:12 pm
mike from queens says:
how is it if you attack someone but they start fighting back, then you don't want to fight anymore, you expect the defender to stop also? If you hit someone, there will be consequences. What would of happen if the defender couldn't defend himself? The attacker would have beat or killed him and ran away. So what if he had two kids, so it is ok to sell cocaine and kill other kids? Just think, if he never threw the punch, he would alive.
Nov. 1, 2012, 1:07 pm
Jay from LIC says:
@Rey,
Are you also drunk like your dead boyfriend, Oscar? Carrying a firearm only makes the situation worse, as more people could have been shot at and killed. What happened was a much better scenario, where the only person beaten to death was a violent drunkard with a criminal record. And you have the nerve to call the gas station attendant a bully? Holy shiet, if I was that gas station guy, I would have pummeled Oscar until his face was no longer recognizable, and have his body thrown off the Queensboro Bridge. And no, I'm not a bully. I just get VERY pissed off seeing drunken hobos bullying normal everyday people. From reading the comments, I can sense the anger everyone has towards Oscar, and I'm glad that I'm not alone in my thinking.
Nov. 11, 2012, 10:38 pm
Lang from Queens says:
I go to these stations all the time the attandants and owners are nasty just want your money. You are suppose to call police and go inside and wait for police this is procedure. This is murder what he did to this man. He took the law in his own hands he should be suited for all he is worth. These people have a poor record with custermers they should be put out of business. This man had no busineess chasing him.
Jan. 16, 2013, 2:11 pm
SixFootThree from Brooklyn&LIC says:
Listen up. The drunk Oscar started a fight. He threw the first punch and then tried to hit him with the gas pump. I saw the video and for a second thought maybe after Jessie chased him he should be held accountable but then my senses came to me. All of you people saying you should just be assaulted and run and hide and call 911 are fools. Perhaps Oscar picked on the wrong guy this time, who actually had the skills to defend himself, APPREHEND the criminal and call the police like he did. Why doesnt the VICTIM have the right to apprehend a man who just assulted him? You are premitted a "citizens arrest" so why should he have been assulted and just let the guy go when he was more than capable of using a rear naked choke to subdue his attacker? One less POS on the street if you ask me.
July 24, 2013, 2:36 pm
Ibitz from NYC says:
Personally, I think Mr. Singh is a racist. There was a point where he could have backed off but I sense he enjoyed using his martial arts skills to murder this man.
Aug. 11, 2013, 2:04 am
Mikes from Santa Ana, Ca says:
Did Singh go to Jail, What was he charged for?
Dec. 22, 2013, 9:42 pm