|Print this story|
The Sheet Metal Workers International Association Local Union No. 137 will conduct a recruitment through Sept. 16, 2013, for 10 sheet metal worker — sign hanger and rigger — apprentices.
Applications may be obtained at Local Union No. 137, at 21-42 44th Drive in Long Island City from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. each Monday of the month, excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period.
Applicants must bring proof of a high school diploma or general equivalency diploma and a valid driver’s license to be eligible to fill out an application.
The committee requires that applicants:
• must be at least 18 years old
• must have a high school diploma or GED, as recognized by official school authorities
• must sign a work-specific affidavit on the ability to perform the work and/or trade
Work includes the following:
• working with sharp objects and hazardous machinery, and exposure to loud noise and respiratory irritants
• prolonged standing, climbing, walking and repeated squatting and bending
• working under extreme temperature exposure, ranging from 0 degrees to 140 degrees, and everyday work may be at such temperatures and in such confined areas that movement will be limited
• lifting and moving heavy, bulky objects and equipment up to 100 pounds
• working from ladders, pipe scaffolds, swinging scaffolds and unprotected heights, which may exceed 100 feet
• being willing to travel within the jurisdiction of Local Union No. 137 — the five boroughs of New York City and Nassau and Suffolk counties — to shop and/or a jobsite
You must have a reliable means of transportation to locations where no reasonable access to public transportation exists, have a valid driver’s license to operate company-owned vehicles to and from job sites and pass a math and reading survey.
For more information, contact your nearest state Department of Labor office or Local Union No. 137 at 718-937-4514.
©2012 Community Newspaper Group
|Print this story|
By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:
You agree that you, and not TimesLedger.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to TimesLedger.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.