Rozic rejects voter apathy theory

Questions over voter apathy have left some supporters of Community Board 11 Chairman Jerry Iannece wondering how their candidate could have lost in September’s primary election.

On Sept. 13, Democratic and Working Families candidate Nily Rozic, of Fresh Meadows, bested Iannece, the Independence candidate, in the Democratic state Assembly primary with roughly 500 more votes, according to official results from the city Board of Elections.

Since her victory, many Iannece supporters have laid some of the blame on their own, saying their candidate would have enjoyed a clean victory if they were not so complacent.

In a TimesLedger Newspapers column published last week, William Lewis contended that Iannece’s loss came as a result of apathetic voters throughout the 25th Assembly District, which stretches from Flushing to Douglaston and includes most of Bayside Hills, where Iannece lives.

“This year we had three sets of primary elections, so registered voters got tired of it,” Lewis wrote in his column. “A significant number of them did not want to come out a third time. Many of those who did not show up at the polls were Iannece supporters.”

Nevertheless, a TimesLedger check of turnout for recent elections in the same Assembly district showed that voting was higher in the September 2012 primary than the most recent primary election to date.

Iannece, 53, also said he expected a higher turnout from his base and thought voter fatigue may have contributed to his primary loss.

“People said they were going to come out, but at the end of the day, they just stayed home,” Iannece said, adding that matters were not made any easier by Sept. 11 falling on Tuesday, forcing the special Thursday primary after a series of previous primaries the same year. “I was not taking anything for granted. I knocked on over 5,000 doors and when you have a voting block five times the size of the number that came out, it’s sad.”

Rozic, 26, said she achieved her primary victory and opportunity to run as a Democrat for the seat currently held by Assemblyman Rory Lancman (D-Fresh Meadows) by making sure she was accessible to voters in the district.

“While campaigning, I spoke to thousands of voters and my message resonated across the district,” Rozic said. “I’m looking forward to the general election on Nov. 6 and representing our community.”

There are 53,761 enrolled voters in the 25th Assembly District, according to the BOE, with 31,457 active enrolled Democrats.

In September, a total of 3,994 voters cast their votes in the Iannece-Rozic Democratic primary, with 2,245 votes going to Rozic, according to the BOE’s official results. That number exceeded that of the most recent primary to take place in the same Assembly district. In the Sept. 16, 2006, primary for the Democratic Party, 3,229 voters hit the polls, with 2,458 of them supporting Lancman, according to the BOE.

As for general elections, BOE results showed the most votes for the 25th Assembly District came Nov. 4, 2008, when 14,916 ballots were recorded in the race in which Lancman retained his seat. Two years later, on Nov. 2, 2010, 11,721 total votes were recorded in the next general election.

Nonetheless, Iannece supporters, including those at the civic association he was once president of, have looked within to make sense of their candidate’s loss.

After the election, Bayside Hills Civic Association Vice President Armando Cortino released a letter to its members asking, “Where were you?” on Primary Day.

“It was as plain as day why voters should have noticed that Jerry Iannece deserved to be elected, yet they chose not to come out in droves to the voting booths,” said Michael Feiner, BHCA president. “The turnout was dismally low. To me, that’s apathy.”

But regardless of the reasons why he did not win, Iannece said he hoped a brighter message would survive in civic leaders who may have followed the race.

“I hope the would-be civic leaders out there do not get dissuaded to run for public office,” Iannece said, speaking of his more than 20 years of civic experience not being enough for voters to get him on the Democratic ticket. “That is when you are going to get real change in government.”

Reach reporter Phil Corso by e-mail at pcorso@cnglocal.com or by phone at 718-260-4573.

Print this story

LOU from BAYSIDE says:
It was nice not being subjected last week to the clown pictures you force us to endure!
Oct. 18, 2012, 11:36 am
Fiona from Auburndale says:
The amazing thing is that Rozic has never stated a clear position on anything at all.

All she does is toss out generalities like "I support women" and "I'm for better mass transit" while she relies on the tremendous support she gets from left wing labor unions, and Manhattan political figures. She is the machine.

She is lucky that she was running against Iannece, a gentleman who was incapable of going negative. A two fisted Irishman like Halloran would have grabbed Rozic by the neck and punched her in the face until she looked good - speaking figuratively, of course.

Rozic is a fraud. My vote is going to "honest Abe", the Republican.
Oct. 18, 2012, 3:15 pm
George from Flushing says:
Ms Rozic said she won because her message resonated with voters. Yeah right! Dont make me laugh. I guess lying to people and calling Iannece antiemetic is the message she was talking about.
Oct. 18, 2012, 9:51 pm
John from Fresh meadows says:
Rozic has no message. Just broad stroke statements. How does one become a "Star" when her political career can be summed up by saying she was someone else's secretary. Her Manhattan connections got her elected along with the the hack Democratic Party in Queens. Jerry was the clear deserving favorite except everyone left him on an island all by himself. I have read about Rozics connections and buyer beware!
Your "Star" will be just like our last ordained star Pres. Obama... an empty suit. The media built him up and the people believed him. The similarities are nauseating. Charming, under qualified, inexperienced and incompetent. "Change" did come. We just didn't know it would be all bad.
Oct. 19, 2012, 3:43 pm
Zalmen from Fresh Meadows says:
Rozic is to Politics as Lance Armstrong is to Cycling.

She did not "resonate" with anyone. Just as the drugs did all the work for Armstrong, the labor unions and the machine did all the work for Rozic.

A lot of Democrats are going to cross over and vote Republican, because Rozic will represent only the members of the radical labor unions. That's what "Progressive" means.

I'd rather vote for Abe Fuchs (who is also Jewish) than have a sleaze like Rozic make us look bad.
Oct. 19, 2012, 5:36 pm
Julian from Auberndale says:
Sounds like the air is starting to come out of the Nily Rozic balloon. The truth begins to surface. Better late than never. People are realizing she is just a puppet and there will be many people pulling her strings. She will do as she is told to do. Where does that leave us?
Oct. 19, 2012, 6:14 pm
Mel from Flushing says:
I agree with the views that Rozic is bad news, but I hear Iannece is still on the ballot as an Independent. Maybe it's not to late. Let's not make the same mistake twice. I'm voting for Iannece on the Independent line.
Oct. 19, 2012, 6:51 pm
Emily from Fresh Meadows says:
Jerry wouldn't be the first politician elected to office after losing in the primary. Lieberman did it in Connecticut. He lost the Democratic primary and then won the general election as an Independent. Jerry has a lot of name recognition and could pick up a lot votes from both the Dems and Republicans because of all the years of working with and helping all within the CB 11 boundaries.
People will have a second chance to make a statement. It would be ironic if Jerry came back and shocked the world!
Lets go Jerry! Vote for Jerry on the Independent line!
Oct. 20, 2012, 12:27 am
Frank from Bayside says:
After reading the article i just had to comment.
Maybe I'm missing something, where exactly was Rozic "accessible" to the people if District 25...from her office in Manhattan? And her voice resonated? She was seldomely ever seen. She and her campaign did resonate when they bad mouthed Jerry. As others have said she will be a puppet. Jerry let his record speak for itself when he should have gone right after her and exposed her for a farce. Time for people to wake up. No one cares and that is clowns such Rozic
Oct. 20, 2012, 12:56 am
John from Oakland Gardens says:
What is it with you Democrats? The more liberal and radical the candidate, the better you like them in primaries. I've been in this community for many years. You had this guy Iannece who broke his hump working for the community as a volunteer for years. What do you democrats do? You vote for a 26 year old Manhattan radical who has done NOTHING in this community over Iannece. LOL. It's no wonder we have so much trouble in government. BTW if you check, you'll see Rozic is being supported by known Socialists. I cannot and will not support someone like her.

I am a Republican and I never voted for a Democrat in my life, but you made my choice easy. I'm voting for Iannece as an Independent.
Oct. 20, 2012, 9:09 am
Nathan from Bayside says:
You hear about voter apathy. It's more like people just don't give a darn. Iannece hands down should have won. It should not have even been close. However, the unions and all the under the table dealings pushed Rozic to victory. The regular working folk just didn't care enough to get up off their couches. Iannece only chance was for the working folk to support him and when they didn't Rozics Manhattan machine took over. Even the NY Times endorsed her. When does the Times endorse a nobody candidate all the way in Queens in a local race. It doesn't happen. Rozic has a lot if favors to repay and we will all suffer because of it. She is young, inexperienced and just not qualified but she was the people's choice. Laughable an embarrassing. We no longer stand for values or hard work. We are a broken selfish society that just wants wants wants. Well enjoy Rozic. I hope she loses to Iannece or Fuchs.
Oct. 20, 2012, 1:48 pm
Ron from Fresh Meadows says:
I'm not so sure Rozic is gonna win this one. She's nothing but a pawn who's done absolutely nothing for our community. I wouldn't count Jerry out just yet. A lot of people I know are still going to vote for him. The fat lady hasn't sung yet.

Spread the word.

Go Jerry!!!
Oct. 21, 2012, 12:35 am
Lou from Bayside says:
Nathan, Mel, Julian, Zalmen! Looks to me like the groupies from the soon to be defunct civic association are using fake , what they think sound like Jewish names to discredit candidate Rozic because they cant get over the fact that their clownish, comedic looking boot licking candidate didnt win for the umpteenth time!~Look at the picture!Who would vote for this guy! Get over it already!
Oct. 21, 2012, 8:13 am
Mel from Flushing says:
Who the hell is this jerk Lou? How dare he question my motives or religion. Sounds to me he's an antisimetic jerk. I'd love to meet him and shove my foot up his bigoted ass.

This has nothing to do with the candidate I support but rather addressing the real clown here. LOU!!!
Oct. 21, 2012, 9:55 am
Andrzej from Flushing says:
Poland communist rule make us impossible to live. Go http://baysidehills.info/?q=node/84 to see what is Rozic.
Oct. 22, 2012, 2:07 am
Lenore from Fresh Meadows says:
I am really disturbed by this. Rozic's people came to my home and convinced me that as a woman I should vot for her over her opponent. Unfortunately I did.

Since the election I've been checking out all the candidates. Iannece really did a lot and should have won. To top it off, I now see this link (http://baysidehills.info/?q=node/84) that has appeared several times. It looks like it's based on FACT.

Boy I really made a BIG mistake voting for Rozic.

Nily is supported by people that have no business being
involved in our community. It's really kind of scary.

I don't care if he wins or not. I'm voting for Iannece in November.
Oct. 22, 2012, 9:37 am
David from Bayside Hills says:
I am a Jerry supporter. Always was and always will be. Although Rozic's people didn't knock on my door, I hear they were going around calling Jerry antisimetic. If they did, what GARBAGE!!

Let me tell you, I've lived in Bayside Hills for over 30 years and I can tell you first hand that Jerry is without question not antisimetic. He is one of the finest people you will ever meet. He genuinely cares about our community.

Over 15 years ago, Jerry started the Menorah Lighting ceremony in Bayside Hills. He was the one who actually built and stored the menorah that the BHCA used every
year. He even was the one who progressively lit the candles every night. One year some stupid kids vandalized the menorah in the middle of the night. I called Jerry and he came out there in the blistering cold at 1 am with a screw gun and put it back together. He didn't want these antisimetic jerks To get away with it. No one ever knew. But I did

Another time, some other punks painted neo nazi hate signs in our neighborhood. Aside from painting them over immediately, Jerry wrote a strong letter to the editor in one of the local papers, condemning the actions And warning these jerks to stay out of our neighborhood. As a reward Jerry received death threats.

Not bad for a gentile!!

And there's more I can tell, but I think I made my point.

Jerry is a great guy and deserved to be our Assemblyman. I am very disappointed in our neighborhood for not supporting him the way they should have.

But I just wanted to let everyone know that bought Rozic's outrageous antisimetic garbage, that nothing is further from the truth.

Jerry is, was and will continue to be the most qualified candidate for the Assembly.

Again, I am a Jerry supporter And I will still be voting for him in November.
Oct. 22, 2012, 10:26 am
John from Oakland Gardens says:
Lou,
The only clown here is you. I hear Rozic has a position for you in her circus. You will be the ass clown and I think you will be very good at it.
Oct. 22, 2012, 9:38 pm
Tony from Bayside says:
Now you're insulting clowns. Lou is a small minded idiot who's suffering from some type of inadequacy. I think we all know what type. Poor Lou. You must be all alone and have nothing better to do than say stupid things. Do yourself a favor Lou and don't let all of us know how totally STUPID you are. Keep your moronic thoughts to yourself.

I'm voting for Jerry just because it'll piss Lou the Loser off.
Oct. 22, 2012, 11:40 pm
Lou from Bayside says:
This pandering clown lost again because of his statement that passing of the "Dream Act was his most pressing concern." The good people of the community who are sick and tired of being raped ,robbed and pillaged both figuratively and economically by illegal invader hordes totally rejected this pandering attempt by this clownish local figure. Not to mention that he has the nerve to go to the altar every Sunday while being staunchly pro abortion. The community does not need another phony baloney 2 bit attorney and that is why he lost! The pathetic fan club should get over it, im sure he still has sway with the parks department so you should still be able to get preferential tree pruning!
Oct. 23, 2012, 8:20 am
Armando from Bayside Hills says:
Lou,

I have been monitoring the election for Assemblyman, 25th District, just as you have. This local election concerns me because it directly impacts our community. The winner will represent us in Albany on a variety of issues. I personally felt and still feel, that Jerry is the most experienced and best candidate to properly represent the interests of OUR community. That is my opinion and I am not afraid to share it.. I will also share that I do agree with the comments that Rozic campaigned on broad general statements and that she maybe in over her head.

However, at no point have I ever attacked Rozic personally. I even congratulated her here, on this very blog, when she won the primary. You, on the other hand, personally attack and discredit Jerry without hesitation for reasons, or agendas, that I do not understand. You name call and poke fun at a man that represented the community you live in, as a volunteer, to the best of his abilities for 25 years!!

Ultimately, it is the choice of the people who they will vote for. I can paint the opposite picture of Jerry. I will tell you that I know Jerry for 15 years and have watched him do for the community time and time again.
-Whether you were Catholic, Jewish, or Martian he always advocated for you equally with the same fervor.
-Whether it was cold or hot, raining or snowing, he was always out there front and center for the community.
-Whether the issues were big or small, he always led the charge to get it done.

You bring up that Jerry attends church but is for abortion, that he is for the Dream Act etc. those are his points and he does not hide them. If you don't agree, that is fine. Can you tell me what are Rozics positions? I have heard of only two... Improve women's rights and mass transit. Those really dont seem to be the blockbusters, or the nuts and bolts we need addressed here in our community. How about land use? Economy? Services? Yep. Those were some of Jerry's points too. You left those out in your rants.

I would now like to address you personally. As you know, I am the Vice President of the Bayside Hills Civic Association. I do not hide who I am. I have answered you before. You commented on the "soon to be defunct civic association." You should know that the BHCA has been around since 1936 and will continue to be around for some years to come. The BHCA is composed of a hard working volunteers that take an interest in maintaining and preserving the community of Bayside Hills. I will not allow you to bad mouth an association that did nothing to you. I am aware that I, along with the Civic Association endorsed Jerry and continue to support him. You may not agree with it, but it is our right to support whomever we want, just as it is yours to do the same. If there are fundamental differences in candidates we each support, then let's keep them differences and not get personal. Passionate yes, personal no.

If you would like to discuss this further, my door is always open. You know who I am and I will be at the next BHCA general meeting held on 11/30/12 at 8pm, inside the Colonial Church, located at Luke Place and Bell Blvd. You should come by and say hello. It would be interesting to meet with you, unless you will be the one that hides behind the name of "Lou from Bayside." I doubt tgat you will show but if you do, Maybe we can request to have your trees pruned too, since it is a complaint that we do address on the civic level...
Oct. 23, 2012, 12:37 pm
Tony from Bayside says:
Now I get it. Lou, You are like the Church Lady from SNL. You're one of those self righteous holy rollers that goes to church every Sunday, sits in the first pew and looks down on everyone who YOU think is not as holy as you. Well, how Christian of you. Last time I checked, the church is supposed to be about love and acceptance. You must have missed that day Lou. Or were you too obsessed with stalking Jerry to pay attention?

Lou you need to get a life. People like you are comic book characters that serve no meaningful purpose to anyone. Our community needs less "holy" people like you and more down to earth people like Jerry, who actually try to make our community better for everyone.

Maybe I'll go to church next week to look for you. I bet I'll be able to spot you. You'll be the one with his head up his ass.
Oct. 23, 2012, 2:15 pm
Lou from Bayside says:
Sorry Tony you cant help it. Unfortunately "love and acceptance" is the crap you've been taught in church by a succession of milquetoast Priests and Bishops who dont want to rock the boat. They have a law. It says that abortion is against their teaching and if you advocate abortion you are not supposed to receive.If you advocate and receive ,you are a phony two face. How about a little love and acceptance for all those dead babies!~
Oct. 23, 2012, 2:40 pm
Tony from Bayside says:
There you go again Lou. Just when I thought you couldn't look more idiotic, you open your mouth and show me I was wrong. LOL. You are a lonely poor pathetic LOSER!!! I've waisted enough of my time with you.
Oct. 23, 2012, 4:46 pm
armando from bayside hills says:
Lou,

I see that you haven't yet accepted my invitation. Who is hiding now?
It would be good for you to come to a civic meeting. You may actually learn something about what actually goes on in your neighborhood, as opposed to, what goes on in your own mind.
The invitation still stands...
Oct. 24, 2012, 8:38 am
Tony from Bayside says:
Armando, don't hold your breath. People like Lou don't go to open forums where democracy is practiced and people actually try to make a difference. They'd rather go to church and than criticize everyone else for not being as "holy" as they are. They are nothing but idiotic cowards. They do nothing to help, but are the first to complain.

Hypocrites like Lou unfortunately exist everywhere and only discourage those who actually want to make things better from getting involved.

Keep up the good work Armando and thank you.
Oct. 24, 2012, 10:36 am
Frank from Bayside says:
I see that Rozic is picking up endorsements from the Democratic Party that were Jerry's. I do remember you saying how he was part of "the democratic machine" and was a "hack". And how he was endorsed by all these losers. Well the same losers from the same democratic machine are now endorsing the new hack Rozic. How does that make you feel? And by the way I think she is pro-abortion too although I'm not quite sure since she doesn't commit to anything. I think that now you realize how much of an idiot you really are! You are the REAL CLOWN!! Played like a fiddle and dumb as a stump!!
Oct. 27, 2012, 4:49 pm
Lou from Bayside says:
The democratic machine originally did support their supposed pliable yes man. The point you miss jerk is that Rozic never pretended to be anything but the NY Times liberal that she is. Your guy , passed himself off as the church going family man and the little league coach while supporting abortion, so called gay rights, etc and made the famous quote that the passing of the Dream Act is one of his most pressing concerns. Im sure the families of the 2100 people murdered by illegal aliens every year take comfort in such a quote. As bad as she is she is not half as bad because he pretended to be something other than what he really is is.On top of that he is a lawyer and god knows we dont need another one of those!Democrat or republican, the truth is they all stink! They are all corrupt! They are organized criminal enterprises! Time to wake up !
Oct. 27, 2012, 9:27 pm
Frank from Bayside says:
Newsflash... Most democrats are for pro-abortion. Many of those same politicians can have their own individual beliefs which maybe pro life, yet still support abortion because that is what their constituents overwhelming want. I personally am pro life but do not feel that it is my right to force a belief on anyone. I am sure that people could and have argued both positions. Hanging Jerry on this is ridiculous. Whether he goes to church or not, you are missing the point. He has done tremendous good for the community. The dream act is anither issue that is supported by many politicians, mostly democrats. I bet Rozic will too. You are quick to finger point because you must have a personal agenda or vendetta when it comes to Jerry. You rather slander him in an effort to distort all the good he has done for YOUR COMMUNITY and support a candidate that you yourself have admitted is a liberal know nothing that was elected by the really corrupt Manhattan based machine to be a puppet and push around. You complain that Jerry is a YES me candidate, what do you think Rozic will be? Jerry has taken the fight to many to get things done for you and for me. I fear that Rozic will be that liberal that can care less. You read the articles that have been written about her and see her associations and they should worry you because they disturb me. An ideal candidate is difficult to find. Jerry has a record of doing and is the right person to represent us. Unfortunately for us he may never get that chance. We all lose. Rozic is not trying to be something she's not. The fact is she is a nothing with no experience and no position. She will hurt OUR COMMUNITY but that's ok for you because to you its more important that Jerry supports abortion and the dream act. You should take a moment to think about what you spew. Take out your own personal hatred towards Jerry and analyze who would best serve us. It should be clear, it's Jerry but you could never admit that because you let your personal feelings cloud your vision. It's your loss and the community's loss but you don't care because YOU ARE ONLY ABOUT SELF!!!! When your neighborhood goes to —— don't go looking for Jerry because he won't be there. Call Rozic and see what she does for you. Thats when you will realize that you were an idiot. So keep spewing you stupid man, in the long run your own spit will hit you in the face jerk.
Oct. 28, 2012, 1:07 pm
Lou from Bayside says:
" The fact is she is a nothing with no experience and no position. " Nice quote! What she is is a candidate who beat the pants off a guy who has been positioning himself for years and ingratiating himself to some of the most despicable politicians in the world! Associations that bothered me and apparaently alot of others included his endorsement by , Maloney,Crowley, Ackerman
,Quinn to name a few. Some of the biggest dirtbags to ever occupy office. Your losing candidate thought it was going to fall in his lap. He was wrong! He's now lost 2 or 3 elections . Obviously the majority feel he is unqualified. I agree with them. Time to move on pal!
Oct. 28, 2012, 6:59 pm
Frank from Bayside says:
When the same dirtbags endorse your candidate what then? You can't have it both ways.
Dirty politicians bother me. Politicians that are puppets bother me. Politicians that have no position bother me. Politicians that dont or wont care bother me. Politicians that are inexperienced liberals bother me.
Check out Rozics associations and then talk to me about who hangs out with dirtbags. You better go to church and and say a prayer that Rozic isn't that politician that surrounds herself with the dirt bags that will tell her what to think what to say and what to do. I read and researched
really feel thats that the true reason she won. If you truly look at how she got elected and who she is connected to you would change your tune. But you rather play the role of God on earth ready to lay judgement and cast stones but only on certain people not others. You are a hypocrite! Everyone that reads your crap here knows it. May God have pity on you.
Oct. 29, 2012, 1:19 am
Lou from Bayside says:
Bishop orders priests to read anti-Obama letter at Sunday sermons
Stay Connected

Register | Log in
Manya A. Brachear | Chicago Tribune
CHICAGO — Joining the chorus of Roman Catholic clergy in Illinois criticizing President Barack Obama before next week's election, Peoria Bishop Daniel Jenky ordered priests to read a letter to parishioners on Sunday before the presidential election, explaining that politicians who support abortion rights also reject Jesus.

"By virtue of your vow of obedience to me as your Bishop, I require that this letter be personally read by each celebrating priest at each Weekend Mass," Jenky wrote in a letter circulated to clergy in the Catholic Diocese of Peoria.

In the letter, Jenky cautions parishioners that Obama and a majority of U.S. senators will not reconsider the mandate that would require employers, including religious groups, to provide free birth control coverage in their health care plans. "This assault upon our religious freedom is simply without precedent in the American political and legal system," Jenky wrote.

"Today, Catholic politicians, bureaucrats, and their electoral supporters who callously enable the destruction of innocent human life in the womb also thereby reject Jesus as their Lord," Jenky added. "They are objectively guilty of grave sin."

Earlier this year, Jenky delivered a controversial homily criticizing the contraception mandate. The bishop included Obama's policies in a list of historic challenges the Catholic Church has overcome in previous centuries, including Hitler and Stalin's campaigns.

Jenky is the third Illinois Catholic leader to offer pointed guidance for Catholic voters in recent weeks. Last month, Springfield Bishop Thomas Paprocki offered a commentary on the Democratic and Republican parties' platforms that he said wasn't intended as instruction, but guidance.

"There are many positive and beneficial planks in the Democratic Party Platform, but I am pointing out those that explicitly endorse intrinsic evils," Paprocki explained in the Springfield Diocese newspaper.

"Again, I am not telling you which party or which candidates to vote for or against," he said. "But I am saying that you need to think and pray very carefully about your vote, because a vote for a candidate who promotes actions or behaviors that are intrinsically evil and gravely sinful makes you morally complicit and places the eternal salvation of your own soul in serious jeopardy."

Furthermore, in the Rockford Diocese, Vicar General Eric Barr compared Obama's support of religious freedom in Muslim countries to his lack of support for Catholic liberty.

"Meanwhile, Obamacare marches on, steamrolling Catholic morality and the First Amendment under its weight. How can that be tolerated by citizens?" Barr wrote.

"Nothing justifies this peculiar and unreal stance of the president," he said.

Spokeswoman Colleen Dolan said she doesn't expect Chicago's Cardinal Francis George to issue any statements before the election.