Today’s news:

Thanks, Governor, Sort Of

TimesLedger Newspapers

The good news is Fresh Direct has decided to relocate to the Bronx. The bad news is Queens will lose 2,000 jobs.

The credit for keeping the company, which delivers groceries and caters to places throughout the metropolitan area, goes to Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who came up with a package of incentives that beat those offered by New Jersey.

State Sen. Michael Gianaris said he was “disappointed they couldn’t find a way to stay in Long Island City, but I’m glad that we kept them in New York City.”

It is not clear how many of Queens workers will decide to make the trek each day to the Bronx. The commute will add at least two unpaid hours to their work day.

According to the governor, Fresh Direct will be spending $112.6 million on a 500,000-square-foot facility near the Harlem River Rail Yards. This will create 1,000 new permanent jobs and some 684 construction jobs. The company says this will allow Fresh Direct to expand services through New Jersey and into Connecticut and Pennsylvania.

We are disappointed. The loss of this company will have a negative impact on the small businesses in Long Island City that served employees from Fresh Direct.

Gianaris said he is hopeful a company can be found that will take the place vacated by Fresh Direct.

High-tech Cops

Cell phones, laptops and iPads have become the No. 1 target of the city’s lowlifes. Robberies of these items take place every day in nearly every precinct. But a quick-thinking cop in the 105th Precinct has shown that the technology sword cuts both ways.

A 27-year-old man reported that his wallet, iPhone and iPad had been stolen. The robber allegedly pulled a gun and then beat his victim over the head with it.

One of the responding officers quickly used a computer program called iCloud to track the stolen iPhone. In a short time, the thief was arrested.

Hopefully, this program and others like it will take the profit out of stealing gadgets.

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

Reader Feedback

Jen from LIC says:
THERE WAS NO OGFFER FROM NEW JERSEY! Can you investigate and report instead of regurgitating the numbers and information that Bloomberg and Cuomo want everyone too! Our elected officials should be fighting to keep them here! We gave them $50 million to move to queens and now we are letting them go without a fight??? Anyone offered $130 million would move. Invest that money here in Queens. How could they move to New Jersey anyway with the tolls and gas and cost in time to deliver food in NYC? Answer: They cant'!
Feb. 19, 2012, 7:41 am

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not TimesLedger.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to TimesLedger.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

CNG: Community Newspaper Group