Police arrest pair in fatal Far Rock shooting involving AK-47

Police, relatives and neighbors said 17-year-old Xavier Granville was shot and killed on Beach 15th Street early Saturday. Photo by Christina Santucci

Two young men from the Rockaways were charged Sunday in the murder of Far Rockaway teen Xavier Granville, who was gunned down outside of his best friend’s party, police and the victim’s family said.

Dashawn Deverow, 21, of 78-00 Shore Front Parkway and Jamane Yarbrough, 16, of 54-09 Almeda Avenue were both arrested and charged with Xavier Granville’s murder, according to the NYPD. Deverow was also charged with criminal possession of a weapon after he was allegedly picked up with a loaded firearm, police said. A spokeswoman for the NYPD said the charges did not specify whether the gun was an AK-47.

Granville was found dead in front of Beach 15th Street and Heyson Road in Far Rockaway, after assailants in ski masks shot the 17-year-old in the head, police and family of the victim said. He had been attending a birthday party for his best friend, relatives said.

Police said they found shell casings from an AK-47 and a .45-caliber pistol at the scene, but it was unclear what type of gun killed him. Police said Saturday morning they suspected some gang involvement .

The teen’s devastated mother, Shikara Granville, described her son as a good young man who could make anybody laugh and dreamed of becoming a marine biologist.

She said she last saw him as he was heading out to his best friend’s party Friday night, where tragedy would later strike.

“He was my baby, he was my child,” she said at her home after identifying her son’s body Saturday morning. “Nobody’s child deserved to get killed like my son got killed.”

Reach reporter Karen Frantz by e-mail at kfrantz@cnglocal.com or by phone at 718-260-4538.

china from farrockaway ny says:
It's a shame what theses kids is doing with their time wasting it on drugs hate and crime instead of educating their self and focusing on bettering their self they go out and take a life just to prove what " they have a half of brain come on 2013 when are you guys gonna realize that the years are going up and your years are going up too wise up people we killing one another making our population smaller like we need that my prayers are with you all ......
Dec. 31, 2012, 4:11 pm
resee from queens says:
My Cousin didnt deserve this at all
Jan. 4, 2013, 10:09 pm
mamala from edgemere says:
The people they have charged with this incident are not the right people. They are suffering for someone else's wrongdoing. I feel sorry for the loss of that family but I feel that the detectives need to do their job because I know for a fact that the ones charged with this crime did not commit it.
May 8, 2013, 12:07 pm
Shikara from FarRockaway Queens says:
My son or no ones child to deserve to be killed I miss him a million it upset me that my only child is gone do to gun violence an mamala from edgemere if u knw who did this speak up don't get up here on social media and don't say anything cuz in my eyes you are guilty just like whom ever did this it call with holding information u try sell a story to get them out I pray for u and the guilty soles who did this cuz we all have a judgement day...
May 16, 2013, 11:02 pm
jocklord from hammels houses says:
my son did not commit this crime, nor did his friend. and i would appreciate it if the mother of the child would speak to me personally. because you know as well as i know that my son dashawn didnt have anything to do with the murder of your son. and if your any type of a respectable mother, you wouldnt want my son or his friend, to do time for something he had nothing to do with.. so please

free my son and his friend... jock from hamnels
June 24, 2013, 11:56 am
shikara from farrockaway says:
@ jocklord from hammels who u need to talk to is D.A. All I.knw is my only son is not here and want answer ok ur child was caught wit a firearm nothing else to say......an leave me alone respectfully read my comment I didn't say anything abt these children in my first comnent I said whom ever did it will have judgement ......if ur kids won't tell u tell it to protect ur child that wat parents do.....
June 24, 2013, 12:52 pm
shikara from farrockaway says:
An respectfully why r u under my son story wit tis bs show some respect for the dead I find this to B so disrespectful Ur problem is not wit me it I was not their whn my son got killed so am gping off the court an wat they R saying....S.I. P Rozay.....Tis is truly sad....
June 24, 2013, 1:53 pm
jocklord from hammels says:
ms shikara in no way is this meant to be disrespectful in anyway, as a concern parent just like yourself. im just trying to clear my son and his friends name, because everybody know that him and jermaine didnt have anything to do with your sons death. and its a shame as a parent, that you or anybody else, would want to see anybody go down for this crime, instead of the actual killer or killers, thats all im saying. everybody know me, im not that type of person, i got mad love for every hood and in any hood. thats why i can go to any hood in the rock by myself. i dont have a problem with anyone. but all im trying to do as a concern parent, is clear my son and his friends name, so that they can get on with there young lives. so again im sorry for your lost, and if theres anything that i can do to help out with this terrible situation. feel free to get intouch with me, im always available...... jock
June 24, 2013, 3:26 pm
Shikara from FarRockaway.... says:
Look u under tis story I neva spoke to tis newspaper they.share the story an u going abt tis the wrong way if u know they didn't do it then speak out and get off my son article real talk go to the d.a. Not me I can't help u if it was my child and killed ur son go forbid would u b helping me I think not so plz asking u to leave me alone and talk to the d.a....thanks but no thanks.......
June 24, 2013, 7:07 pm
jocklord from hammels says:
im gonna say this and leave it alone, dont believe everything that the police tell you, my son nevet had a gun in his possetion, the police had a broke up 22 that they just put on him to try and make therr case look good. but —— the police, im talking about us ad parentd doing the right things when our child is being accused of something that they did not do. but it will come out in court, and the real killer or killers will get away once again. but you can take this to the bank, them crackers aint gonna convict my son for something he didnt do, and i mean that ——. so if yall want to keep my son and his friend locked up for something they didnt do, when everybody is telling you that they didnt do. you will have to answer to god. so im leaving it in gods hands, and they will be set free, trust me. again im sorry for your lost, god knows i am. but your wrong for not being woman enough to step up and tell the truth.......jocklord
June 24, 2013, 11:26 pm
jocklord from hammels says:
shikara in no way am i borthering you, and this is my sons article as well as yours, and want the whole world to know that he didnt do it. because the whole rockaway knows that they didnt do it, so they must be let go, real talk. so —— the judge, the da, and the police. they gonna let them go soon too, because im tired of this ——. and something got to give, my baby has to come home.....
June 24, 2013, 11:43 pm
shikara from far rockaway says:
Listen @ the end of the day tis is not my battle u think cuz these kids is lokk up I got closure I will neva have that I will neva b a piece even doe I knw that my baby boy is wit my God....I mus t tell u again stop coming @ come @ the ppl that got ur son in custody.....like u said u can go to any hood an b comfortable well it sounds like the communities fail u an child also cuz if everybody knw that they didn't do it y no one stood up yet it going to b 6months not a FRIEND not A ADULT not a PARENT see ur problem ain't wit me it more political then anything I was not their when tis happen to my son U need to talk ....To the D.A. instead of up here dry SNITCHING cuz no one has told me nothing abt these children no it ok a u knw y cuz no one cares abt mines or ur child so I pray u see the light cuz tis is not my battle my son is @ eternal piece wit one self an everyone who has they hand in his death will have judgement an stop making subliminal threats toward me yes Zay was my child but I have nothing to do wit ur son or his friend being prosecute an y u won't tell if u knw ur child and friend didnt do it let me guess cuz it one of ur son friends or cuz u knw that they was their give me a break stop being mad @ me and check urself and u surrondings.....Am off tis...
June 25, 2013, 9:53 am
jocklord from hammels says:
dry snitching, you got me ——ed up. thay aint in my history, yall got my son locked up, so whos the snitch! And not one time did i threaten you, and you will see that your son own friends is stepping up and writing statements to the da saying that my son didnt do it, so he will be out you dont have to be scared of the real killers, im not. So stop withholding the truth, god will punish you for thay, if infact you believe in god. Because it seems to me that you dont. Gods child dont act like you
June 25, 2013, 11:38 am
jocklord from hammels says:
Keep in mind the DA has 8 videos, and my son aint on none of them, so how could he have been therr.?!?!!
June 25, 2013, 11:48 am
jocklord from hammels says:
Also by all means i do not want you to think that im mad at you or have anything against you because its not like that. I just want to set the record straight, my son and his friend did not do it. And im very sorry for your lost because no parent should have to bury there child, especially to street violencr, and i wish it would stop. But you have to understand how im feeling also, because im losing a son also to the prison system for something he really didnt do. If he did it, then he would have to handle it. But he didnt, and god will open the gates for him....so please dont be mad at me or my family, because we cant be held accountable for other peoples actions whether it was his friends or not. We as parents have to spend more time with our kids educating them on life, instead od letting them just do them. Because these are the end results, and we dont want it to happen no more... Love you my sister, and may god keep you and your family strong... Jock
June 25, 2013, 12:08 pm
Shikara from farrockaway says:
Yall nothing home boy I could bac forth u all day but u to stupid to see the whole point I got time for dumb ppl if ur son wasnt on none then his,lawyer is failing him to and tis is not tis boy father tis someone else I just want to see how long u going to back an forth cuz u ——ing up ur son / friend case badly.....an if he wasn't on one tape then dumb ass how he get indicted then when went to the grand jury that was they 180 day if it wasnt enough evidence me an u both knw they would have walk out that day wit u an the rest of yall family I aint got ur son lock no snitch in my blood I want them to come home lil do knw I believe n more than God reand the bible and u get wat I mean ur helpless and I feel sorry for ur child cuz u don't even really knw the law cuz if it like that he would b home wit u and not having tis debate....Good luck hope everything works out for u .....In God We Trust......look wat it say the next time u go to court God does everything for a reason....R u drunk I have no power over these ppl so if u not od the real killer set ur own son free!!!
June 25, 2013, 12:14 pm
Anonymous(everyhoodcomfortabley) from Brooklyn says:
Jocklord from hammels why is it that your going in with lady have some respect she just lost her son sheeesh.....And why is it that you think everybody know that your son didnt do it.That goes to show you have no life because if you did you be handling your business with the da or whom ever you need to see bout your son so be a father.Why you on this lady get your life and stop worrying bout and her business let her be.
June 25, 2013, 1:56 pm
Anonymous(everyhoodcomfortabley) from Brooklyn says:
Oh and another thing jocklord you talking bout you not trying to be disrespectful but you are you think what your doing is right nobody was there to see who did that to the boy but you know so much then go get your son and his lil friend out period.
June 25, 2013, 2:01 pm
Jocklord from hammels says:
Mine your business, im losing a son also. You got these drunks that sit on the benches in the hood everyday day with there little dog and drink there heads off, but they love god. I havent disrespected her not one time, but now she calling me out my name!!! I could say —— that will make her cry; but im not, im a real man.and she knows that the DA got nine videos of the whole incident and my son aint on none of them. The police just locked my son up to satisfy her, and she going for it, but she know god, phony......
June 25, 2013, 9:59 pm
Shikara from Far Rockaway says:
See u in court 2mm and satisfy me lil do u knw the 101 hate me hahaha I dont —— wit them they don't care abt me or u they work the case to get paid say watever u want u said 8 videos now it 9.....bye Mr....u have a problem an aint me........ every thing Rozay......
June 26, 2013, 12:37 am
jocklord from hammels says:
You right, i dont have a problem with you, please realize that. Im just trying to right this wrong, and as far as the videos ask the Da if you dont believe me. Im trying to help you not hurt you. But your the average hood chick who cant be helped, so handle you business
June 26, 2013, 10:53 am
Shikara from FarRockaway..... says:
Nah Am not a hood actually if u did homework aint from out u a hood —— that can't even see the light so wat u, talking abt ..grow up an get a life......ur problem is wit them ppl you know it but easy to attack me,go as after them the big ppl not me something is truly wrong wit u ...u scared of them big ppl go at them small fries and stop coming @ me.....chick am strong black.woman wit my held high u see me @ the gas station an u was on silent u see me @ court and still was on silent go head tuff typer an tell ur story walkin....put in the foot work an get put it in a stop talking.....hello u wasted to much time typing.....
June 26, 2013, 1:14 pm
jocklord from hammels says:
I got mad respect for you, you lost a child. What am i suppose to do, go off on you? Never that, my mother didnt raise me like that. So again, i dont have no problem with you, my problem is with them crackers. But im just want you to know that my son didnt kill your son, and i dont want you to be mad at me , thats all. And i never saw. you at no gas station. I see you at court and be wanting to say something to you, but you act like your very upset with me and my family, so i just let it be. But i felt like i could talk to you like this so you dont have to see me face to face, and right away you think i got a problem with you. And for the record, you need to ask somebody about me, i could careless about them crackers, i fear no one but god. Thats why i can go to any hood and be alright, trust me. If you was any type of respectable woman, you would talk to me face to face. Rather than believe everything those crackers tell you. And i will tell anyone of those crackers in there face how i feel about them. They know me, i been out here 50yrs doing my thing. So you got me confused with one of these bird ass ——, im a real —— mama, believe that. But im saying all of that to say this-- i dont have no problem with you, and im very sorry for your lost. But we need to stop all this back and foth and just come together and see that justice is served for your son. But in the mean time i have to fight for my son and his friends freedom, because aint right that they be convicted for something that they did not do. So i would appreciate it if you would just talk to me one on one, to see what we can do together, instead of leaving it up to them crackers to continue to railroad our youth. So please let me know whats up so that we can stop all of this back and forth and handle it like real concern parents. I love you as my black sister regardless to how you might feel about me and my family. But if you truly believe in god like you say you do, then you have no choice but to love me and my family like we love you. Good night and god bless you and your love ones...
June 26, 2013, 10:25 pm
jocklord from Hammels Houses says:
Shikara check this out, we not gonna say anything to each other no more, because i see that i cant tslk to you as a concern parent. So we just gonna let it play out in court and whatever happens happens. And as far as hymie daughter is concern who you said was your son best friend, she need to watch how she talk to me because i will slap the —— out of her and tell her father i did it. He knows what time it is with me, im nothing like my son so dont ever get it twisted.and here it is im talking to you and you putting people in our business, by telli g them this Dashawn father, he the one that was hitting me up on facebook, which it wasnt. But that wasnt nobody elses business, thats why i stepped off. Because god forbid if somebody would of said something to me out the way. It could have gotten ugly real fast, trust me. I had my whole hood behind me ready for whatever. But im not tr

ying to turn back the hands of time. Im older and much wiser, but at the same time i can get wreckless if need be. So just let it play out in court, we dont evef vave to say anything to each other, but what i demand is respect, thats all i ask. Peace
July 14, 2013, 12:52 pm
jocklord from hammels houses says:
mamala, this is dada father talking to you. i need for you to get with me on this, because if you know for sure that dada and jermaine didnt do it, and —— is running around here spitting your name like ——es, as if your the one who told on dada and jermaine. you can lead me in the right direction. you being from the 40"s is telling this lady that they no the ones who did it, and she is not trying to hear you, but she believe everything them crackers tell her. but its all good, and if you know hymies daughter ( the darkskin one ) you need to tell her ugly ass to mind her business before she get the ——t smacked out of her, real talk. im trying to be nice about the situation, but they gonna make me turn 4,5,6, into 1,2,3 early. so get with me mamala, i would appreciate it baby, one.......
July 14, 2013, 8:35 pm
jimjim from canton oh says:
he should stay locked up
July 19, 2013, 11:46 am
not important from new york says:
Jacklord you are being an ass ....your losinv ur son to the system? Foh this ladie will never get to see her son or hear his voice. but u can visit yours..thats why the young black youth is so ——ed up because of parents like u.....know u raising a waste of sperm ass thug and be the first to up hold him when he does some ——ed up —— #facts that
July 23, 2013, 5 am
anonymous from chicago says:
Jimjim from canton,oh, who are you to say he needs to stay locked up. Mind ur business. Do u know him personally? If not, stfu. Not important from new york, lol. Waste of sperm ass thug. Really? Ur funny. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but opinions shouldnt be made if u dont know nothing. Both of yall need to stfu again and get yall facts together. Listening to the police will ALWAYS get u -- ed up. If the boys own friends kno wut is REALLY IS, dey need to say something. Now #FACTSTHAT
Sept. 2, 2013, 1:50 pm
Crackerasscracker from Far rock says:
Cops planted a 22
Cops are crackers
You ignant
April 21, 12:28 am
The nosy neighbor from Far rock says:
Do y'all kno the lil boy y'all talking about?? I mean kno young boys should die like dat but he had it coming. Didn't he shoot half of rockaway. It hurts wen da shoe on the other foot. Dats how other ppl felt wen they lost sons and bros at the hands of rozay . Drink some tea it a b iight. every mother knows her son so u kno wat was coming u should've put ya foot down n raised him to b a man n tell him his actions has consequences. I am gonna say sorry for ya lost n The two other boys if u didn't really do it n they let y'all come MOVE Far rock is a trap all n itself
May 19, 2:50 am