Husband hid wife’s body in Idlewild: DA Brown

Police examine the body of Kadie Ann Chambers in Idlewild Park. Photo by Ellis Kaplan

Police arrested the common-law husband of a South Jamaica woman Wednesday whose lifeless body was found the day before in Idlewild Park, the Queens district attorney said.

Carlos Evelyn, 30, was arrested and waiting to be arraigned on charges of murdering 27-year-old Kadie Ann Chambers and dumping her body in the wetlands, District Attorney Richard Brown said.

“The defendant is accused of strangling his wife during an argument that turned physical and deadly,” he said. “His alleged actions leave their young son without a mother and a father who faces the possibility of spending the rest of his life in prison.”

According to the criminal complaint filed by the DA’s office, the couple got into a fight inside their home Tuesday morning, and when Chambers grasped Evelyn’s shirt, he grabbed her by the throat and started punching her in the face, Brown said.

Evelyn allegedly continued to strangle Chambers until she fell to the floor unconscious, the DA said.

He then allegedly moved her lifeless body from the house and brought it to Rosedale, where he dumped the body in the water near Huxley Street, the DA said.

Evelyn then returned home and allegedly cleaned up a carpet bloodied by the struggle and got rid of the clothes he was wearing, according to Brown.

The police found Chambers’ body around 10:30 p.m.

As of press time late Wednesday, Evelyn was awaiting arraignment on charges of murder and tampering with physical evidence, Brown said.

Reach reporter Rich Bockmann by e-mail at rbockmann@cnglocal.com or by phone at 718-260-4574.

Scooop from Rosedale says:
This was by my house , couldn't believe I was there watching them Remove a females body from the water . Husband is a sicko for this
March 21, 2013, 7:32 am
SJR from Valley Stream says:
We went to JH school together she was a very sweet girl. Its a very sad world we live. Pray for her son and family
March 21, 2013, 10:37 am
Garnette says:
She is my second oldest niece,we spoke last Wednesday got the sad news yesterday . We didnt know what she was ...only if I personally could be there.God knows best!
March 21, 2013, 11:02 am
OCW from VS/ROSEDALE says:
Sad News , Someone needs to develop this area as long as this is a swamp, this isnt the 1st and wont be the last
March 21, 2013, 11:42 pm
Lisa says:
My beautiful best friend is gone because of a man who decided to use his strength to kill her. Kadieann will never get to finish school, see her son graduate, tell me her secrets or anything. I pray for her son!!! She was a good mother and a great best friend. She is an angel now May she R.I.P.
March 23, 2013, 9:58 am
J from St. Albans says:
Its very sad this happen to a queen I knew Kadieann and I also know Carlos .She was very sweet and always smiling. I feel she wore her pain well cus you couldn't tell by looking at her that she was ever going through this. They say love make u go crazy and im really starting to believe it .You never supposed to hurt your queen and now there prince dont have his mom or dad .Karma is a mother ... I know she in heaven looking down on us me being a father myself I am Sorry for what he did you gave him the greatest gift in the world no matter what yall went through RIP Kadieann you will be missed but never forgotten
March 23, 2013, 1:42 pm
Raven H. from ATL says:
people say i cried so much i cant even cry no-more im still crying, we had so many plans she was more then my best friend she was my other half. You will be truly missed.
March 23, 2013, 8:13 pm
Angel from Far Rockaway says:
I only knew Carlos and all the years that I knew him not once did I take him for the abusive type...I cannot make an excuse for him and I am not trying to but I just dont get what could of made him do something like this...As many times as I have read the articles I still cannot believe it...I just spoke to him before this happened and to think you never really know a person...I pray for her family and son to have peace and closure knowing she is no longer suffering at the hands of a man...
March 25, 2013, 7:04 pm
Sister & nephew from Private says:
Rest In Peace our beautiful Kadie Ann Chambers ....we love you ....just took your son to the pool yesterday he had a blast ....missing you and everything about you
July 19, 2013, 11:07 am