College Pt. steps up to aid family of boy killed in crash

honda Caruso (l.-r.), Raphael Rivera and Lou Sucre helped to organize a fund-raiser at the College Point Little League headquarters for the Malave family, whose 11-year-old son Cristian Malave was killed in an auto accident. Sucre is the coach of the College Point Destroyers, the team Cristian played for. Photo by Ken Maldonado

Cristian Malave, a beloved 11-year-old who six years ago started out with the College Point Little League swinging his bat at a baseball tee, was remembered over the weekend at a rally in support of his Whitestone family a week after a tragic accident rocked the close-knit northeast Queens community.

“I’d say 90 percent of the people in this neighborhood and Whitestone know the family well,” President Ralph Rivera said during a fund-raiser for the family held at the Little League’s headquarters Sunday. “The community in general just wanted to support one of our own. You know, we’re a family. It’s more than just baseball.”

Cristian was killed in a March 30 car accident as he and his family were returning from a spring break vacation in Florida. Also injured in the crash were Cristian’s mother Hilda; his two sisters, Alyssa and Melissa; and his father, Carlos, who Rivera said is still in serious condition.

Rivera said the community took it upon itself to come to the Malave family’s aid and has organized a number of events that will both support the family and pay tribute to their lost son.

“He was all smiles. That really was him,” Rivera said of the young pitcher and first baseman.

Cristian was an enthusiastic athlete and sports fan, playing basketball at PS 129 and rooting for his favorite baseball team, the New York Yankees.

“He loved Jeter; he liked C.C., A-Rod. He was full of life, just a regular kid,” Coach Lou Sucre said.

“I was more than just his coach. He was close to my son all the way from kindergarten up to now,” Sucre added. “His family was very involved. I knew the daughters from dance and his parents were very involved as well. They’d be here if this happened to anyone else.”

Along with their friend Cristian, Louis Sucre and Rocco Rolleri were known as “The Three Amigos,” and the 10-year-olds said they were shocked when they heard what had happened.

“Me and Rocco and Christian hang out almost every day,” Louis said. “I knew him so long.”

“He was pretty funny and he always told jokes,” Rocco added.

The Little League had intended to kick off its season with a parade over the weekend, but in light of the tragedy it has been rescheduled for Sunday. Cristian’s No. 13 will be retired and players will wear his initials on their uniforms this season.

Rivera said the league will hold a Cristian Malave tournament in about a month which will collect team fees to benefit the family.

A separate benefit, the Malave Family Support Fund, on the website gofundme.com, has already raised $41,910 as of press time.

Reach reporter Rich Bockmann by e-mail at rbockmann@cnglocal.com or by phone at 718-260-4574.

Carmen Cintron from Rosedale, Queens NY says:
My little Nephew Justin Jourdain, who lives in College Point was a friend of Christian. He is very sad and so are we. I didn't know the Malave family until this trajedy happened, but it has touched my family in a huge way. Justin and Christian both belonged to the College Point Little League. As a mother, I can only imagine the pain the Malave family is dealing with. I hope everyone opens their hearts and help any way they can. No matter how little money you donate, every penny counts!! My prayers are with this family and all of you who are helping support this cause. God Bless!!
April 12, 2013, 9:29 am
Julianne Sucre from College Point says:
Cristian was such a good kid . As Louis' sister , I loved having him over . We would get along all the time . And I really miss him . RIP Cristian ❤ .
April 21, 2013, 9:57 am
Tyler smith from College point says:
Christian was a great kid..he was like a little brother to me..ever since the accident I have been playing baseball for hi..he just loved the game of baseball..he would want me to continue and never give up
May 11, 2013, 12:07 am
Kelli langenberg from College point says:
Cristian was a very good kid. We knew each other scince we were five years old. I never expected this tragic accident to happen so quickly. he was funny,smart,happy, motivated and there is not one second where he wouldn't be smiling. I am so lucky that I had the chance to ever meet cristian. I was on the basketball team with cristian in ps.129, he was one of the best players on the whole team even of we lost the games he was still happy and was never upset about losing. he was also in my class along with justin jourdan who was best friends with cristian. I hope cristans family has a quick recovery. R.I.P cristian
May 11, 2013, 9:44 am
Ashley Kim from College Point says:
My classmate Cristian was a great friend. Even though we new each other for a short period of time, I enjoyed that moment. At P.s.129, our class 5-409 had been affected horribly by his death. I hope the Malave family recovers from their injures. P.s.129 Wildcats #10, College Point "The Destroyers" # 13. R.I.P Cristian.
May 12, 2013, 9:11 pm
kayleigh jesus from college point ny says:
Cristian was determined to skate...i remember skating with him ..he us truly missed...RIP cristian
May 23, 2013, 4:36 pm
maria piedra from College Point says:
Even tho i dont know u christian Malave i Would Of wanted wanted a Chance to get too meet U. I've heard about u. u seemed Like a really nice kid. I hope u R.I.P
May 31, 2013, 10:01 pm
Katelyn L from College point says:
Me and cristian were in the same school and friends.Ive been missing him a lot he was the best basketball baseball player ever known to earth I just wish the best to the family RIP cristian
June 10, 2013, 7:54 pm
jose colon from college point says:
he was a good kid he didnt deserve that accident but he is in abetter place thats all that matter
July 11, 2013, 12:39 pm
Kevin Soriano from Jackson heights says:
I knew christian because we were on the same team and he was really funny and calm. A really good player and a good friend. He was made to play in the major leagues. Rip christian we will miss you forever!
July 22, 2013, 12:51 am
Andre says:
Cristian was a ver y cool kid and I wish the best for his family r.i.p cristian
Sept. 17, 2013, 7:36 pm
Eva Espinoza from College point says:
We all miss you cristian �� but heaven now has another awesome angel������
Nov. 9, 2013, 12:40 pm
yaniris says:
I did not know cristian that good but I can tell you he was a very good kid also cool.he did not deserve to die.he had a big future in front of him.RIP cristian you will all ways be in your hearts
Dec. 14, 2013, 1:20 pm
Vincent from Ridgewood says:
Me and Christian played on the same team for a long time and he was a really good 1st basemen.He was the lead-off hitter for our team.It was really hard to strike him out.
Dec. 15, 2013, 9:59 am
ms172grizzles from glen oaks says:
Christian was a very good baseball player though. I remember versing them all the time. He was hard to strike out. R.I.P Christian. We know you are playing ball in heaven .
Dec. 29, 2013, 3:23 pm
David Padilla from Whitestone says:
Cristian was my best friend. I knew him since kindergarten. He was funny, talented at sports and every day he would come to school with a bright and happy smile and always was positive and never was negative about anything. He loved his life, family and friends and he was a big time Yankees fan. He loved Derek jeter, cc Sabathia and Alex Rodriguez. Ever since him and his family got into that accident, I cryed everyday especially on the day of the funeral because I was thinking of all the memories I had with him and I will always miss him with all my heart. I miss you Cristian. R.I.P .
June 9, 1:05 am