|Print this story||Permalink|
Family Wrestling Entertainment made its Queens debut June 21 in Corona, featuring two hardcore legends and a 30-man battle royal.
FWE Welcome to the Rumble 2, an online pay-per-view card held at the Louis Armstrong Recreation Center, run by Elmcor Youth & Adult Services Inc., at 107-20 Northern Blvd., showcased talent from the independent scene in addition to more well-known performers.
One of the highlights of the event was an extreme rules match between former Extreme Championship Wrestling stars Tommy Dreamer and Rob Van Dam. The match started and ended in the ring, but not before it spilled out into the stands.
The bout ended when Van Dam put Dreamer through a table and pinned him.
But the night was not a total disappointment for Dreamer because he won the main event match, a 30-man battle royal. In this bout, two wrestlers started the contest with each subsequent wrestler entering the match at regular intervals until the last man appeared. Contestants were eliminated when they were thrown over the top rope and their feet touched the ground.
Dreamer, the 21st entrant, won the match by last eliminating Jay Lethal, entrant No. 30. This earned Dreamer the right to vie for any FWE championship of his choosing for up to a year.
In title action, John Hennigan became the new FWE Heavyweight Champion by pinning Carlito Colon, while FWE Tri-Borough Champion Paul London retained against Akio Yang.
As for the rest of the card, Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson, collectively known as The Young Bucks, and Angelina Love and Katarina Leigh won their respective tag team bouts. Petey Williams won a singles contest.
The full results of the card are as follows:
1. Petey Williams (d) Brian Kendrick in a One-fall Match by pinfall in 10:58.
2. The Young Bucks (Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson) (d) Jigsaw and Tony Nese in a One-fall, 4-man Tag Team Match by pinfall, after Jigsaw was dealt a low blow, in 11:08.
3. Angelina Love and Katarina Leigh (d) Ivelisse Velez and FWE Women’s Champion Maria Kanellis in a One-fall, 4-woman Tag Team Match by pinfall in 9:30.
4. FWE Tri-Borough Champion Paul London (d) Akio Yang in a One-fall, Title Match by pinfall, to retain his title, in 15:16.
5. Rob Van Dam (d) Tommy Dreamer in a One-fall, Extreme Rules Match by pinfall in 16:54.
6. John Hennigan (d) FWE Heavyweight Champion Carlito Colon in a One-fall, Title Match by pinfall, to become the new champion, in 15:44.
7. Tommy Dreamer (d) Akio Yang, Alex Reynolds, Bandido Jr., Brian Kendrick, Chris Mordetzky, Chris Rockwell, Damien Darling, FWE Tag Team Champion EJ Risk, fake Damien Darling, Jason Gotti, Jay Lethal, Jigsaw, Joey Ace, Johnny Knockout, Jorge Santi, Matt Striker, Matt Jackson, Mike Bennett, Nick Jackson, Paul London, Petey Williams, Sam Shields, Stone Cold ET, The Patriot, The Sandman, Tony Nese, FWE Tag Team Champion VSK, Wes Draven, and an unknown wrestler in the 30-man Rumble Match via over-the-top-rope elimination, to win the right to vie for any male FWE championship of his choosing for up to a year, in 59:56.
©2013 Community Newspaper Group
|Print this story||Permalink|
By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:
You agree that you, and not TimesLedger.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to TimesLedger.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.