Mystery music bugs Flushing from far away

Vehicles congregate in Willets Point for what residents across the water in Flushing say is an extra-loud bash. Photo by Peter Condiles

Residents of a serene North Flushing block spent six weeks tracking down the elusive source of blaring music — and were shocked to find it across a river and more than a mile away.

Peter Condiles lives in the leafy section of Flushing north of downtown where lawns, driveways and carefully manicured bushes are the norm.

It was a quiet place to grow up and live.

“At least it use to be,” he said.

On May 11, Condiles was awakened by loud music pulsating through the walls of his home.

When the racket returned the following weekend, he began walking around the neighborhood, thinking someone might be throwing a party.

But the sound seemed to be playing tricks on him.

“You go around the corner and there it is, but you go around another and you don’t hear anything,” he said.

Condiles next suspected the late-night din could be emanating from a karaoke club on Union Street, but another weekend’s search turned up nothing.

Main Street? Linden Place?

Just when the lifelong Flushing resident thought he had cornered the source of his sleepless nights, the sound would vanish.

Condiles called 311 to report the nuisance, but when he was contacted by the city Department of Environmental Protection, the man on the other end of the line wanted to know where the sound was coming from.

“I don’t know,” Condiles recalled saying before he was told there was nothing the agency, which measures decibel levels to verify noise complaints, could do.

DEP later said the agency is responsible for issuing violations and would need to know the offending party to do a sound test, but would follow up with Condiles’ request.

Condiles had been in contact with another neighbor also seeking the source of the pumping bass, Flushing activist Paul Graziano, and the two spent several evenings driving around, ears tuned to the night air. They went as far as College Point Boulevard before they agreed the sound must be coming from farther away, across the Flushing River.

After another unsuccessful venture into Corona, on June 21 Condiles stumbled upon hundreds of people congregated in Willets Point, a gritty area of junk yards and auto shops across from Citi Field and more than 1 1/2 miles from his house.

“There were between three and five cars or vans. Each one had its trunk or back doors open and maybe 20 or 30 speakers on the doors,” he said. “They were all playing the same thing.”

Condiles and Graziano believe the combined amplification power of the souped-up speakers had sent sound waves bouncing across the Flushing River, off of building facades and into their quiet enclave — and they want the parties, which have been driving neighbors nuts, to stop.

Deputy Inspector Ronald Leyson, commanding officer at the 110th Precinct, said police had already driven the pop-up parties — which may be organized through social media — from around Meadow Lake inside Flushing Meadows Corona Park several months ago.

Now that they have migrated to Willets Point, the precinct has started to do patrols and issue summonses.

Last Friday, officers confiscated a car, he said.

But Graziano hopes the NYPD can put a stop to the gregarious gatherings altogether.

“Who knew you could hear something like that from across a river and through downtown Flushing?” Graziano asked. “It has got to end. I have had enough.”

Reach reporter Joe Anuta by e-mail at januta@cnglocal.com or by phone at 718-260-4566.

Joann from whitestone says:
I have been complaining about this noise since last year!, I thought it was my neighbors next door and I was going to go there and start screaming (because i have a toddler at home), but it seemed to be further than that. I asked (on facebook) if any of my neighbors heard it and 3 others agreed with me. No one wants to hear reggaeton at 11 pm!
July 11, 2013, 1:19 pm
Drew from North Flushing says:
Still doesn't hold a candle to my stock '97 Nissan Altima speakers blasting Wang Chung and Oingo Boingo. Read it and weep, boys!
July 11, 2013, 6 pm
Peter from North Flushing says:
To Joanne from Whitestone; Why didn't you do something about it. I dontt understand why everyone between where I and Paul live and, at least, College point Blvd haven't said something, report it thru 311 at least. Based on the info I have from the Comanding officer @ the 110th Pct and Reporter Joe Anuta, I don't believe its been quite a whole year. At least, if you read the complete article, it only began at their present location, Willets Pt., May 11~12. Before that, they held these Music Parties at Meadow Lake in Flushing Meadow Corona Park!
July 11, 2013, 8:19 pm
JOANN from WHITESTONE says:
To Peter, I actually called 311 and the 109th Pct to see if anyone else had complained or to see where it was coming from. nothing got done as usual. and this problem did happen about a year ago and again more recently calling 311 which was EDC at citifield MAY 17-18.
July 12, 2013, 11:04 am
Bernadette from College Point says:
I've been hearing this extremely loud spanish music in College Point, 23 ave & 129 st, on holidays & weekend nights sometimes until 6am, ( in the house with the windows closed) and when I called 311 they told me I needed to give them an address I finally did track it down to Willets Pt around T.Mina Supply, 35 & 36 ave's bet 126 & 127 st. When I called 311 back & then checked the service request #, it showed the Police responded & took action, but even after that they were doing it again. So, everytime I hear it I call & the Police respond and stop it so, I dont understand why the Police from the 110 Pct dont go there regularly knowing this is going on instead of waiting for someone to call & complain.
July 13, 2013, 1:18 am
Arthur says:

Centola, cut the crap!
July 14, 2013, 7:21 am
Bernadette from College Poin says:
Arthur,I hope you are not telling me to cut the crap, this is all true, if you like, you can leave your phone number & next time the music is playing I will call you and you can come to my block and hear it yourself. I have been living here for 57 yrs & the only time I've heard music like this was from the concerts at Shea Stadium/ Citi Field, at least they were pleasant and ended & didn't go on all night. I dont know what the centola means, but since you made your comment right after mine I thought you were referring to me, if you weren't I apologize
July 14, 2013, 11:52 am
Joann from Whitestone says:
Bernadette, I thought I was going crazy hearing the music .. As long as I'm not the only one.. But not knowing where it's coming from is frustrating especially when calling 311.
July 14, 2013, 3:30 pm
Resident from North Flushing says:
On Saturday 07/20 you could hear the loud music again from around 12 AM to 2:30 AM in North Flushing (Linden Hill). We called the 110th precinct and informed them of the madness and who knows if they will take real measures to prevent this from recurring. It's a real nuisance which needs to be addressed now. It's been going on since May.
July 20, 2013, 9:51 pm
Bernadette from College Pt says:
I also heard it 2 am ( fri nite) I called 311 again & the service report says the Police responded at 2:28 am & stopped them....I'm waiting again tonight, I know they will be there again, I also think they should take measures to prevent them from congregating in the first place
July 20, 2013, 11:06 pm
peter from N. Flushing says:
I too am going tonight, Saturday~Sunday, 7/20~7/21 in a few minutes. If they are there again I will submit 311 online and wait there to see what happens. Oh, btw, Ch.11 may do a story on this. They told me they liked this Times Ledger story/article. And depending on "other activities" they may report it also.
July 20, 2013, 11:54 pm
peter from N. Flushing says:
Well, I stayed at Willets Point till 3AM and, as of 3, it didn't materialize. However there were a few cars driving around, pulling over to the side of 'Stadium Drive' I presume waiting for it to be posted on whichever site they've been illegedly using to disseminate the info of where the night's time and exact location!
July 21, 2013, 3:40 am
Sleepless nights from Bayside says:
I am so glad I found this story. I called everyone . this noise was keeping me up all the way in bayside East of Francis Lewis Blvd. At first I thought it was a graduation party. then as the time progressed I was walking the streets with other neighbors we tried to track it down we thought downtown flushing it wasn't. I even needed some sanity checks as I could not believe I would be hearing loud bass 2 miles away. turn out its more like 3 miles away. I goggled grand opening Spanish nightclub queens thinking id find the location. Endless 311 calls , now I know the spot. P.S. I even called the real estate to sell the house I dreaded weekends.
July 22, 2013, 3:55 pm
Sleepless weekends from Flushing says:

Article linked on this blog - comments from readers give more information on the situation
July 23, 2013, 11:51 am
Resident from Flushing says:

New article - Willets Point parties perturb Baysiders 3 miles away
July 25, 2013, 6:40 pm
Resident from Flushing says:
Again the crazy loud music from Willets Pt. street party on Friday 07/26 very late, called 311 again, waiting for Saturday/Sunday nights, God help us all... When will this madness stop? It's been going on since May. Unbelievable!
July 27, 2013, 10:11 am
residents from flushing says:
those people coming back again. God help us
Aug. 26, 2013, 12:17 am