Hollis man killed in GCP crash where gun later found: Police

Police say Danny Singh was killed after the Lexus SUV he was driving collided with the metal barrier on the Grand Central Parkway (pictured), went airborne, hit and tree and landed on its side. Photo by Christina Santucci

A 28-year-old woman was charged with gun possession following what police described as a high-speed car crash on the Grand Central Parkway that took the life of the driver early Saturday morning, the NYPD said.

Police said Nancy Vega of Manhattan was charged with criminal possession of a weapon after a .25 semiautomatic pistol was found inside the 2011 gold Lexus SUV she had been riding in with 29-year-old Danny Singh of Hollis at about 4:20 a.m. Saturday.

According to an investigation by the NYPD’s Highway Patrol Collision Investigation Squad, the SUV had been traveling at a high speed when it struck a metal barrier, causing the vehicle to go airborne before strikinga tree and landing on its side.

When officers from the 111th Precinct in Bayside responded to calls about the crash on the westbound side of highway by the Cross Island Parkway in Little Neck, they had found the SUV on its side with Vega and Singh inside, police said.

Vega was brought to North Shore Manhasset Hospital, where she was listed in stable condition, and Singh, identified by friends as Vega’s boyfriend, was taken to Long Island Jewish Hospital, where he was pronounced dead several hours later, the NYPD said.

At Singh’s home in Hollis, friends and family grieved for the fun-loving young father, who they said had a three-year-old son named Damion and recently began work as a meter reader for Con Edison.

“He lived his life but it got cut very short,” said cousin Narvin Khan.

Singh’s heartbroken parents and sisters were riding an Amtrak to Florida when they got the news, relatives said.

“They are taking emergency flights back,” Khan said.

Loved ones said Singh was very family oriented and loved to travel, recently taking a trip with his girlfriend to South Beach, Miami.

“He always made everybody laugh,” Khan said. “If you didn’t know how to party, oh boy, he would make you have the time of your life.”

Reach managing editor Christina Santucci by e-mail at timesledgerphotos@gmail.com or by phone at 718-260-4589.

cindy from brooklyn says:
This is my cousin ,didnt deserve to go .danny singh will always b remember n loved b his fam n friends god b with his parents at this time if stress n plz lord show his son Damion tht his father was loved n will b there for him alive or not danny singh a.k.a dansta we love u .....i will alway think of u as u .love cindy herpaul n fam ..god bless u bro
July 21, 2013, 11:38 am
paulita from orlando says:
RIP Danny you will be missed. Knew him since he was a baby. Sorry for your loss.
July 21, 2013, 2:03 pm
Shaun from Hollis ny says:
Danster love you my gee!! You will be missed dearly will see you at the cross roads.. R.I.P
July 21, 2013, 5:46 pm
Chanel and Patrick from Hollis says:
We miss u we will never forget u I'm glad I had a chance to meet u. I will never forget our last night at Bar13 it was mad hot we still had fun. LOVE ALWAYS R.I.P. DANSTA
July 21, 2013, 7:17 pm
Anthony from Hollis, NY says:
R.I.P Danny. Forever in our hearts. The lord asked for you to come home and you did. You are now with angels watching over your family and baby boy. Rest in Paradise until we meet again. Love Ant 198 Street.
July 21, 2013, 11:45 pm
Damien from Orlando fl says:
Dansta been my G from way back. Him, me, mike & al. Danny's a real dude and was down for whateva, we all around the same age. Damn I can't believe this happen. My prayers are with his entire family in this unexpected time of loss. You my Dude Danny, memories will always keep u alive my G! R.I.P DANSTA.…!!!!!!!!!!
July 22, 2013, 12:43 am
Laura from Hollis, Ny says:
Danny since the day we met you said we was family. Since that day you held a part of my heart. I can't believe that this happend specially the way it happend. You have no idea how we are taking this. We will forever mourn for you, forever love you. We will forever miss you. RIP Dansta.
July 22, 2013, 10:23 am
Sup from Hollis, NY says:
R.I.P Danster. You will always be remember never forgotten. Please god take care of him. He is truly a great person.. One love my dude..
July 22, 2013, 10:25 am
slade from springfield gdns says:
RIP Danny. I only knew you for a short time ay work. You had just began a new career with us at Cin Edison. You will be missed.
July 22, 2013, 12:04 pm
Daz from Q.V. says:
The world needs to know how much of a good heart he had. Never Forgotten, Your life was a movie in motion< They say the good Die Young. God Bless ur Soul. R.i.P. Hommie crossroads
July 22, 2013, 2 pm
Mo and Gutts from Q.V says:
Everyone is in so much pain! We hope and pray that ur family especially ur mom and dad and siblings find the strength. Danny we will never forget that smile! We could just picture u at this very moment cheezin'. That's how we gonna remember u! What a amazing person inside at out! We are sooo glad to have known u. U have wings now so u can fly high in the sky... We have sooo many memories that we are gonna hold on and cherish forever. WE LOVE AND MISS U!!!
I know u gettin it in up there!
❤ See u at the gates ❤ Rip Danster❤
July 22, 2013, 7:43 pm
Jun from Cambria Heights says:
R.I.P Danster- I am shocked at all of this. We knew each other thru P, but you was definitely a good dude. Miss you man!! Condolences to you family!! God has you now!
July 22, 2013, 9:02 pm
Jun from Cambria Heights says:
R.I.P Danster- I am shocked at all of this. We knew each other thru P, but you was definitely a good dude. Miss you man!! Condolences to your family!! God has you now!
July 22, 2013, 9:02 pm
Ace from Canada says:
I'm praying for the Singh family during your time of grief and deep sorrow. May God grant you all peace and comfort during this time. Wishing you safe traveling mercies as you head back to NY. Praying for you Yvonne and Danny Sr. as well as little Damian. You are much loved.
July 22, 2013, 10:46 pm
Milly from Georgetown, Guyana says:
May God uphold all of you during this time. My deepest condolences on your loss. Praying for u in Guyana.
July 22, 2013, 10:51 pm
Sheldon from Cambridge UK says:
RIP...Danny. Gonna miss u very much. U the best friend I ever had. I will always remember the great times we had. Love yr little boy. Little D, you daddy and mommy loves you very much. xoxo. Uncle Sheldon.
July 22, 2013, 10:59 pm
Jimmy B. from Long Islans NY says:
Miss you Danny boy u da best coworker & friend & true bro. Miss your laughter and smile. The sun is always shinning when you around. Now we cry becuz we miss u and love u. Pain is so real and deep inside. Thank you for being my friend. Deepest condolences to the Singh family. Jimmy b.
July 22, 2013, 11:07 pm
Barrington from 198 street Hollis says:
Danny u was like my lil brother.....u always smiling and having a good time....I think thats why many people loved u....hope u still smiling in heaven bro....u gonna b missed.....love u bro....R.I.P Dansta the King....and my condolence to the Singh family
July 23, 2013, 8:18 am
Frederick from 198 Hollis says:
U da man we will miss. Why? U in a bettr place now. R.I.P Dansta, I luv yah too much but God has his timing and he called you home too soon.....my condolences to the Singh family. luv u bro!
July 23, 2013, 11:08 am
Raquel D. from Queen's says:
I will never forget you for your kindness that you have shown to my family. You will be greatly missed. My heart and prayers with your family and friends. May God keep you and watch over your family during this time of sorrow and grief. Keep the faith.

xoxo

Raquel
July 23, 2013, 11:29 am
Sherwin from Q.V. says:
Y? Y? Uda man w'll miss, luv, chrish. U are a good bro and you left us too soon. u rememba the good times we had when we lil'l kidz. Now, we have kidz now and lil'l Damian don't have his father. I will tell him he had a great luv'n father who luved him very much. tHank you for the good times. R.I.P. Dansta!

Sherwin
July 23, 2013, 11:34 am
Sad from Hollis, NY says:
I'm very sad to know you're gone. You raised everyones spirits, where ever you were. Your heart was always in the right place. Thanks for all the kind words and support you have always given us. Your family will always have our support. You will always be remembered and missed. Rest in Peace Danny.
July 24, 2013, 1:08 am
R.J. from Hollis says:
Dearest Danny,
You have made such a high impact to all those around you. We miss you dearly. Our hearts are heavy and in the midst of grief we know that you are in a better place now. R.I.P. Daniel.

Much love,
R.J.
July 24, 2013, 3:41 am
R.J. from Hollis says:
Dearest Danny,

Much love,
R.J.
July 24, 2013, 3:41 am
Suzie V. from L.I. says:
So sad to hear what happened. My sincerest and deepest condolences to the Singh family.
R.I.P. Danny R.I.P.

Suzie
July 24, 2013, 4:01 am
Sharon from QV says:
Dansta you lived your life to the fullest... I didn't see you much but I could tell that you had the best of everything life could offer...love, family, friends, and always having fun. I'm so sorry that you are not here with us anymore but I know you are in a better place and still living it up to the fullest. You will be missed...RIP Dansta
July 24, 2013, 7:27 am
Tracy Moonasar from 195place says:
We are shocked and saddened by the sad news. Praying for you and the Singh family at this time. My deepest condolences RlP danny boy. From Tracy Moonasar @ 88 20 195place
July 24, 2013, 8:31 am
Steph C. from BK says:
Aww man I'm in total shock right now. Just when you crossed my mind, I find out this tragic news. There was never a dull moment with you. You were funny, charming and a great friend. You will def be missed. My deepest condolences goes out to the Singh Family. S.I.P Danny aka Dansta aka My Artificial Haitian
July 24, 2013, 2:38 pm
Jerome from Hollis, NY says:
Yo Dawg, me heart is brken cause u me bro! U a good friend & a bro to me. Miss u sooooo much. U like the ripple in the watr cause u impact ppl good! RIP Dansta! Miss u...until we meet again. my Condolenses to the Singh family. (hats off to you)
July 25, 2013, 8:57 am
Sherp from The mighty Village`/da hood says:
Say it ain't so but it is. U left us but u r NoT forgttoned. everyone luvz u & miss u good. Us ppl in the Village will never forget how u done us good and how u luvd us. Our i's are puffy and rEd and hurt'n but it ain;'t nothing. tnkx for da greet times. RIP Mr. Dansta Singh. Pry'n for u all. Luv ya all & miss yal. Sherppy,
July 25, 2013, 9:05 am
Charmaine from Hollis, New York says:
You came, you left. You left a great legacy for all those whom you came across. Even though we didn't have a chance to say good-bye, we know that those you touched will never forget you and your kindness that you have shown. You are witty, charming, and most lovable as most would say, you made a difference to all who came your way.
Rest in Heavenly Peace Danny.

Deepest condolences, sympathies and prayers to the Singh family.

Love,
C.S.
July 25, 2013, 10:10 am
Gee from Guyana says:
mr. danny SinGgh, i salute ya. Y'al did good to all expEcially to all her n Guyana. U me gee n me luv u good.

thank u mr. sinGh, we;;ll miss u frum aur hearTs.

luv yu, Gee
July 25, 2013, 12:20 pm
Doreen & Family, Bibi & Haima from Queens Village says:
Our sincere and deepest sympathy to the Singh family in their loss. Danny Jr. will be missed by all that he came in touch with. A great young man went too soon. May you R.I.P and you will always be remembered.
July 25, 2013, 12:45 pm
Friend of Mr. Danny Singh from New York City, NY says:
To All Who Read This,

It is with searing pain and sorrow as I write this memoir of my dear departed friend - Mr. Danny Singh Jr.

Mr. Danny Singh live life to the full and in the midst of the fullness he impacted all those whom he came across in a very positive way.

His charm, charisma, boldness, wit, 'style', and devotion to all he came across and those whom they came across with Danny was inspired and in awe.

He was a devoted father to his son Damian and also to Nancy - the love of his life. He loved them both dearly and always had kind and loving words about Nancy but more so for his lovely mother - Yvonne.

He was a special person who would help those in need. I first came across Danny Singh around 6 years ago when he pulled over the side of the freeway and help me change my flat tire and did not accept any compensation. Instead his famous words to me was 'hang in there and drive safe'.

Mr. Danny Singh was a compassionate man whom had strong principals and values. This is primarily due to his positive influences, support and love of his loving family and friends.

His generosity and smile would make anyone want to gravitate to him. I can clearly remember when we were waiting in line at a coffee shop and the person (homeless) in front of us did not have enough money to purchase his meal. Danny, you pull out a twenty and said, 'keep the change and stay warm'. With selfless acts of random kindness, you demonstrated that money was only a tool and you used it well.

You have inspired me and I consider you a brother that I never had. You raise the bar high and you never looked down on the poor. May God have favor on you as you are part of His family now.

Thank you Mr. Singh, thank you for making a BIG difference in this world. It is a true honor and pleasure to meet you by the roadside six years ago. You left too soon but will be missed but never forgotten.

Rest in Peace Mr. Danny Singh.

A Loyal Friend of Mr. Danny Singh Jr.

JPM
July 25, 2013, 1:08 pm
Chrissy from 195 place says:
R.I.P Danny. You will be missed dearly. I remember all those times hearing your car coming down the block, i automatically knew it was you. There were always good vibes when you were around, but now you are in a better place with all the other angels. May God Bless your beautiful soul. My prayers go out to the Singh Family. Much Love! R.I.P.
July 25, 2013, 2:22 pm
RoG from Hollis 195 says:
im in shock ...i seen you that very day as usual in in the hood ridin' the lex shining hard system crazy in the streets then next day i hear you're gone!!? a real true G..i can't believe it..ima turn up for you BRO my heart goes out for you! and the whole family.. Rest In Paradise Danster!
July 30, 2013, 2:47 am
Vette from Q.V. says:
You are sadly missed. R.I.P. Dansta!
July 31, 2013, 5:30 am
garray from Q V says:
Danie a good friend and father.
Will B miss very much.
My prayers going out to family&friends.
May you rest in peace BRO.
You going to b miss...but not forgotten peace.
Aug. 1, 2013, 11:35 pm
Sharon from 201 street says:
R.i.p Danny u was a good friend I went 2 elementary & junior high school with u & u always had a smile on your face nobody know's y they r taking off this earth so early god has a plan 4 u I know u r looking down & watching your friends & family take care danny u will never b forgetten ������
Aug. 19, 2013, 11:49 pm
Jennifer from Richmond hill says:
RIP baby boy ! I don't know what hurts the most the fact that you're gone or the fact that I found out 6 months after I will never forgive me for this!!! You was always there for me b4 had my daughter and after she was born I might never meet a lot of your ppl but you always said I was your ppl u had my back on everything as I did too!!! Damn Danny I can't stop crying you I can't bare this pain I can't believe I won't see you again it's sad it's painful!!! I kept calling you phone and getting the message that it was cut off and wondering what had happen to your phone and waiting for you phone call or for you to come thru or a text something and it never happened!!! God has a new angel and one of the best!!! I WILL ALWAYS MISS YOU !!! A true friend a true father a good man... RIP Danny

My condolences to your family and specially to your mom and girl and most of all your son he's sure gonna miss you .
Feb. 4, 4:42 pm
Mike aka M1_Blingz from QV says:
My brother. My Code-D. My ——. I didnt know all these people wrote all these great words for you. Deserving to say the least. Miss you G. Hold it down for me till i arrive.
I got 500000 bars for yo ass ——!
Blingz Boyz for Life.
Don Dan Imperial... Big King... Dirty Danstar.
Rollin' in Paradise.