Young father gunned down outside Jamaica home: Family

A 28-year-old father of two was shot outside his Jamaica home early Wednesday morning as he headed to work, his family and police said.

Marcus Wharwood got up early every morning and drove to his job as a merchandise retailer, which took him to a different part of the city every day, his mother said.

But when the young father stepped out of his home on Shore Avenue around 5:15 a.m. Wednesday morning, he was gunned down as he got into his car.

“I didn’t wake up before him,” said Patricia Wharwood, who last saw her son as he rose for work the day before. “My bedroom window was open and it faces the street. I heard three or four gunshots go off and then I heard my daughter run out and say, ‘Somebody shot him!’”

Police said that when they arrived at the scene, they found Wharwood had been shot once in the head and several times in his torso. He was taken to Jamaica Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 7:45 a.m., according to the NYPD.

The man’s grieving mother said he had two young children: a 7-year-old daughter and a 2-year-old son.

“He was a very nice guy. He liked to help people with anything. He was always helping neighbors or helping someone,” she said.

Police said they were investigating Wharwood’s death, and his mother said she could not think of who would want to cut his life short.

“I don’t know. He had nothing with nobody,” she said. “He had no problem with nobody.”

Reach reporter Rich Bockmann by e-mail at rbockmann@cnglocal.com or by phone at 718-260-4574.

ELW from Jamaica, Queens says:
It is a terrible shame that our young men are being gunned down. I fear for my self and my children everyday in this world. The gun law has to be enforced more! There is two more little kids who is going to grow up in this world with out thier loving father. What gives another person the right to take someone else's life. I am so saddened by this.
July 26, 2013, 7:34 am
shantel soto says:
this is a terrible thing that has happened to my friend who i've known since the 7th grade but after High School i have not seen or heard from him. I am upset that someone would murder him they way they did and now his kids have to grow up fatherless. when will this stop...i am tired of losing friends/family members to gun violence...Marcus was a great guy and he will always be remembered...i hope someone finds the killer or killers...love you forever marcus....from me and john and all the friend that you have touched....
July 26, 2013, 12:34 pm
wow from USA says:
I guaranteed that the bloods had something to do with this. The bloods from South Jamaica Projects who kill at random and probably this was an initiation. Its the only thing I can think of. They have killed many black boys and men. The NYPD do not care and neither does Mayor Bloomberg. If they cared, something would of been done by now, instead the murders continue, year after year. Does NYPD's gang unit care? NO!! As long as there are guns in the hands of these savage beasts, the murders will continue. Nothing is being done about gun legislation. Mayor Bloomberg is too busy making cuts and entertaining his rich friends. I bet if it were happening in his backyard, something would change. You cant even count on the politicians in SE Queens because they are too busy being crooks themselves. The cops know about these gangs and yet, they still dont care or its too much for them to handle. I have said it time and time again, marshall order should be enforced or get FBI involved!! So sad.
July 27, 2013, 4:25 am
lea from queens says:
Damn babes you really gone like forreal everyday that —— sinks in to me smh only if I could have saw you one last time rip boy forreal in mt memory love you
July 27, 2013, 4:43 pm
ANOYMOUS from QUEENS says:
I WAS A CO WORKER OF MARCUS HE WAS A COOL DUDE TO WORK WITH I AM SO SHOCKED THAT SOMEONE WOULD TAKE THIS MAN'S LIFE LIKE THAT.

YOU WILL BE MISSED. HOPE THEY FIND THE ONE'S WHO DID THIS NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO TAKE ANOTHER PERSON'S LIFE.

TO MARCUS 'S FAMILY I HOPE YOU WILL GET JUSTICE FOR THIS TRAGEDY AM REAL SORRY FOR UR LOSS GOD BLESS.
July 30, 2013, 9:55 pm
Your pine grove sister friends from Pine grove st says:
Marcus we all missed our child hood memories of you and your fondness for helping people when they needed it. May God bless your babies, family and you. In due time everyone will heal and rejoice the positive ray of light you were on earth.
Sept. 22, 2013, 10:01 pm