College Point man struck and killed on 14th Ave: NYPD

Police tape hangs from a pole on 129th Street and 14th Avenue, where authorities say Brian Howell was hit and killed. Photo by Christina Santucci

COLLEGE POINT — A 47-year-old man was killed when he was struck by two vehicles on a busy College Point street less than a block from where he lived Tuesday morning, the NYPD said.

Police said Brian Howell had been trying to cross 14th Avenue at the intersection of 129th Street at about 6:45 a.m. when he was first hit by a 2011 Toyota Camry.

Howell was then knocked into the opposite lane of traffic where he was struck by a 2000 Chevrolet Suburban SUV, according to cops.

Both drivers remained at the scene of the accident, where Howell was pronounced dead by emergency responders, police said.

The NYPD’s Highway Patrol Collision Investigation Squad was reviewing the circumstances of Howell’s death and the investigation was ongoing, the NYPD said.

Plant mechanic Howell had worked at Con Edison since 1989.

“We are sorry for the loss to his family,” said Con Ed spokesman Chris Olert.

Reach managing editor Christina Santucci by e-mail at timesledgerphotos@gmail.com by phone at 718-260-4589.

Red the garbage man from Whitestone says:
Rest in peace. Drivers need to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks. Pedestrians need to stay alert and be ready to jump out of harms way.
Nov. 13, 2013, 5:58 am
Juan says:
I agree Red, but if you check out the intersection there are no crosswalks.

I hope that this City starts to take this kind of thing seriously.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=129th Street and 14th Avenue&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89c28ab2f6cb6aa3:0x8bca9cf96723f2d1,14th Ave %26 129th St, Queens, NY 11356&gl=us&ei=T5KDUuGCNrGn4AP_k4Bw&ved=0CCsQ8gEwAA
Nov. 13, 2013, 9:57 am
Barbara says:
RIP Brian you will be missed!!!
Nov. 13, 2013, 10:43 am
Delgado from college point says:
So very sad may he R.I.P. So close the holiday I will pray for his Family and loved ones. I saw the end result and the one thing that has me puzzled is that it happened at 630 and when I passed at 10am the body was still there??? May God Bless.
Nov. 13, 2013, 12:24 pm
bobby from college point says:
May u rest in peace Brian,u will remain in our hearts. From all your union brother's and sisters in the college point yard.
Nov. 13, 2013, 12:32 pm
Lisa from Flushing says:
This tragedy happened in front of my friends house. It is amazing this poor man was in the street for hours. Then they took his body away and left his blood spilled street for all to see. What is wrong with this city. I called 311 and sanitation and there was no one to clean it. RIP, I feel so sad that a guy just on his way to work could be run down like this. So sad. My prayers are with him and his family. God Bless.
Nov. 13, 2013, 1:30 pm
denise from college point says:
I reported this traffic problem to the our city Counse lman and 311 all we need is two traffic agents the stree has gotten very busy and need of signs and cross walks and to keep cars from speeding and blocking the road I knew this would happen
Nov. 13, 2013, 1:55 pm
kecialona ramos from college point says:
that intersection is a very dangerous section for people crossing and the cars that speed on that intersection
Nov. 13, 2013, 3:42 pm
RV from coned units says:
rest in peace Bryan. i had the priviledge of working with you for a few years. you were always kind hearted and a good friend
Nov. 13, 2013, 6:54 pm
k.d from c.p says:
Though I didn't know him.I am truly sorry for his loss & his famlies suffering. My husband is 47. I can't even fathom how this could happen , its going to be with me a long while. Rest in peace bryan your in good company with my son ♡★
Nov. 13, 2013, 8:56 pm
Joseph from Brooklyn says:
I wonder if the driver was texting or playing with a smart phone? People continue to speed up 14th Ave every day. With traffic diverted away from 11th ave its a high volume high speed causeway to college point blvd. I take the route every day to work and I am appalled by the non response by 311 and city officials. Neighborhood residents have been at this for years with countless requests to investigate the traffic and speeds on this ave. Now, like always, TOO LATE, leave it to some local politician to come forward and name the street after the deceased for publicity when countless community efforts should have been answered sooner. I would definitely pursue legal action agsindt the city for neglect. God bless the family.
Nov. 14, 2013, 7:31 am
Arielle from College Point says:
So sad. Joseph is right though, 14 ave is insane since 11th ave was closed and there is no traffic officer or anyone to enforce the rules of the road. I am forced to use that road to take my daughter to school each morning and each morning its like an accident waiting to happen. RIP to this man,
Nov. 14, 2013, 3:41 pm
elaine from queens says:
I drive my daughter everyday to school at that time every morning. I normally leave her on that street to cross.. it could've been my child or anyone else's .. people need to be considerate of pedestrians.. I saw the poor mans body just laying there in the street, got chills .. my deepest sympathy to the family
Nov. 15, 2013, 6:20 pm