Storms proof of global warming

The latest information regarding this past year is that it was the warmest on record for the United States since records were kept since 1895.

The abnormally dry, warm winter, followed by a dry, hot spring and summer with little rain caused severe drought conditions over more than 60 percent of the country. Then, a severe derecho swept across the Midwest in late June 2012 and caused millions of dollars in property damage and widespread power outages.

Tropical Storm Debby, Hurricanes Isaac and Sandy and the November nor’easter that dropped heavy snow across the northeast rounded out the weather disasters for 2012, causing additional billions of dollars in property damage.

If this is not an indication that global warming is happening, I do not know what is. We need to prepare for more extreme weather events, such as we have just experienced this past year. They will be occurring with increasing frequency and violence.

John Amato

Fresh Meadows

Lou from Bayside says:
More gibberish from the dopey schoolteacher! Yes thats right and let me guess....we need government to get involved and slap everyone with carbon credit taxes which in turn will be turned over to the UN. I have a better idea, lets confiscate the pension checks of all retired schoolteachers and lets hand those monies over to the UN so they can use it to fight the ever nefarious global warming now called "climate change" because global warming turned out to be a colossal failure in light of overwhelming evidence that the earth has not warmed in at least 15 years. So lets confiscate the pension checks of all retired schoolteachers at once!
Feb. 19, 2013, 8:16 am
Derrick from Uptown says:
"If this is not an indication that global warming is happening, I do not know what is."

You are right. You don't know what indications of global warming actually look like. Most people would look at the temperature, which hasn't been rising globally from the 1998 peak.

I suppose you could just look at the continental united states temperature for this year, but that wouldn't be very scientific or accurate in determining whether the globe was warming.
Feb. 19, 2013, 2:55 pm
Gary from Southern Ontario says:
Derechos were named in the 1880s, right when temps began to climb out of the LIA. There was little if any warming of the Earth at that time. And the LIA was 4C colder than the MWP. We have only recovered 2.5 C of that over the past 250 years, which was the deepest part of the LIA.

The drought falls to about 6th place on the Palmer Drought Index- it wasn't even Close to the droughts of the 50s, or the Global drought of the Dust Bowl Era.

Sandy was not even a Cat One when it hit in October- and NYC has seen much, MUCH larger hurricanes in past Octobers, going back over two centuries. Where were CO2 levels then?

You are right about one thing: you DON'T know what it is.
Feb. 20, 2013, 7:02 am
Windy from Deadly Chicago says:
There are now several climate related web sites that dispel the myth that current storms are worse than ever. One of the best for those without a physics or math background is 'THE HOCKEY SCHTICK' blog because it mostly presents new peer reviewed climate change news not presented in politically driven media sources.

Another is the 'The Lukewarmer's Way' which often has articles or comments by climate scientists.

Both sites accept global warming as a fact but do not believe the science is settled, meaning that claims of human fingerprints in storms, as suggested by the author here, is not settled science, and the idea of a bleak climate future is exaggerated.
Feb. 20, 2013, 10:53 am
Windy from Deadly Chicago says:
This is from the blog of climate scientist James Annan and for those with some knowledge of CMIP5 climate models used by the IPCC and with some understanding of math, the following from Dr. Annan explains why John Amato's opinion is not supported by science.

What makes this so important is that Dr. Annan was a very strong proponent of the 2007 IPCC AR4 report and never before challenged any of the findings. He is not alone in that recently I am finding many more climate scientists also questioning climate sensitivity and the assumptions used in determining feedbacks that were the basis of runaway warming.

One of the most startling finds is research in Greenland by over 100 ice scientists who have discovered that Greenland temperatures averaged 14.4 degreesF warmer than Greenland today, for thousands of years during the Eemian Climate Period. Prior to this the Eemian was one of the climate epochs used in modeling to create scenarios for rapid glacial melt for the future. As it turns out the Greenland glacial formations were far more stable than modeled and now scientists will have to redo the models.

For the first time in the 7 years I've been following climate change research, climate scientists are talking about abandoning the IPCC process.

Everyone wants clean energy but skewed beliefs that desperate measures are required to prevent doom are no longer being given much credence and increasingly diverging from science and reality.
Feb. 20, 2013, 11:25 am
Russell C from USA says:
" ... If this is not an indication that global warming is happening, I do not know what is."

Whether global warming is happening is not actually in dispute. The question to ask is if it is conclusively proven that human-induced greenhouses are the primary driver of it. Skeptic climate scientists say the IPCC has not made its case, and they explain why in highly detailed climate assessments (e.g. http://www.nipccreport.org/reports/2011/2011report.html ) which cite scores of peer-reviewed science journal-published papers.
Feb. 20, 2013, 1:29 pm
Kenneth Kowald from I Sit and Look Out says:
This information may be of some interest: As far as I can learn, the Thames River in London has not frozen over since some years before Victoria ascended the throne. That was in the late 1830s, I believe, some years after what we came to call the Industrial Revolution started. In the previous 1,000 years, it would seem, the Thames had frozen over very often and to such a degree that fairs were held on the ice. See "Orlando".
There may never have been an ice fair on the East River, but up to near the end of the 19th Century, there were periodic freezes which permitted people to walk between Manhattan and Brooklyn. The "Industrial Age" did not begin in the US until some time after the Revolutionary War.
If my memory is correct, my father, a Manhattan native, knew of people who had walked on the ice of the East River. He himself, he told me, swam in the East River on occasion, as a kid. Shades of the "Dead End Kids"!
If you read my last column about Federal funding to repair the damage from Sandy, you may wish to note an update I added. Interesting, I think.
Kenneth Kowald
Feb. 21, 2013, 3:33 pm
Gary from Southern Ontario says:
Kenneth~ may I ask a link to your source, regarding the Thames freezing over? I'm fairly certain that 1000 years ago, during the MWP, that was not the case. However during the LIA, it happened fairly frequently.
Feb. 22, 2013, 6:27 am
Kenneth Kowald from I Sit and Look Out says:
Gary: Can't remember the exact source. I checked a number. If you go on the internet with the question, I think you'll find answers. And my reference to Virginia Woolf's "Orlando" was about a great "faire" on the ice in Queen Elizabeth's time.
What I was looking for, of course, was the last time this had occurred, both in London and New York. It seems the early 19th century was the last time on the Thames and the last quarter of the 19th century on the East River.
Those who think about climate change or whatever we want to call it, might want to link such information to the results of the industrial revolution, which, as we know, started in Britain.
Thank you for asking.
Kenneth Kowald
Feb. 22, 2013, 11:03 am
Gary from Southern Ontario says:
I see NO reason whatsoever to link that information to the Industrial Revolution. I DO know the LIA ended mid-19th Century, and the Earth has warmed very slightly since then- but has not Yet recovered to the level we enjoyed during the MWP.

The Frost Faires did not begin until 1608. Prior to that, the Thames had only frozen over a few times, and then only since the LIA had begun.
I cannot find any reference at all to the Thames freezing over prior to the start of the LIA in the 14th Century. That about 600 years, not a thousand.
Feb. 23, 2013, 1 pm
Kenneth Kowald from I Sit and Look Out says:
"Orland" is a work of fiction, so please let us forgive Virginia Woolf. Good story, though.
Sorry if I missed the date by 400 years.
My point was about the end of the freezing of the Thames and the East River. I leave it to others to draw conclusi0ns.
A pleasure to read your comments. Thank you.
Kenneth Kowald
Feb. 23, 2013, 4:13 pm
Gary from Southern Ontario says:
Welcome!

The LIA began with a weak solar cycle- kind of like the current one.
It got a Lot deeper with an even weaker solar cycle- much like what Everyone, including NASA, sees coming for cycle 25.

When the sun began to ramp up again, things began to warm. End of LIA.

One of the Major reasons for the Industrial Revolution, was people's need to be WARM. Have MORE FOOD. etc.

I already know what conclusion I am drawing. Thanks!
Feb. 23, 2013, 5:36 pm
Kenneth Kowald from I Sit and Look Out says:
I expect to miss most of the future. To say that I have a whole set of yes-no thoughts about this and every other matter--generally speaking--is to put it mildly. But, I do like civil discourse, as St. Augustine called it, and I enjoy these messages.
Thank you.
Kenneth Kowald
P.S.: And I see I misspelled "Orlando"!
KK
Feb. 24, 2013, 1:47 pm
Gary from Southern Ontario says:
Interesting- the Thames was frozen over in 1947 http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/02/25/the-winter-of-1947/#comment-1232167

The Industrial Revolution apparently didn't affect things all that much- and it had been going on for well over 100 years at that point!
Feb. 25, 2013, 7 am
AAB from Ringgold GA says:
"A sparrow does not a spring make." Nor does one storm or even a decade of storms make for proof that global warming is happening. My parents lived through the dust bowl days when the population of the U.S. and the world was less than 1/2 of what it is today. If man is causing global warming, should we not be in dust bowl conditions today that make the 1930s seem tame?
And, I remember Al Gore saying that parts of Florida would be under 10 feet of water by now, or has the 300 million he made from global warming changed his mind?
April 28, 2013, 9:35 am