Two die in separate Flushing crashes: NYPD

Police investigate at the fatal collision the corner of 172nd Street and 33rd Avenue in Flushing Tuesday. Photo by Ellis Kaplan

Two people lost their lives in northeast Queens crashes in less than 12 hours of the New Year’s holiday, police said.

A 56-year-old woman was killed in a Tuesday afternoon collision just blocks from where she lived in north Flushing Tuesday, and an unidentified 26-year-old man died when an SUV he was riding in flipped on the Long Island Expressway in Flushing early Wednesday, the NYPD said.

Annamarie Tromp had been driving a 2012 Nissan, when 24-year-old Anthony Zupnick allegedly struck her vehicle with his 2003 BMW at the corner of 172nd Street and 33rd Avenue at 2:42 p.m. New Year’s Eve, police said.

Emergency responders arrived at the scene and brought Tromp to New York Hospital Queens, where she was pronounced dead, according to cops. Zupnick, who lives about eight blocks from the accident scene, was arrested and charged with aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, the NYPD said.

The following day, police were called to the eastbound expressway at Parsons Boulevard and found a 2001 Nissan Xterra with four people inside that had overturned on the right shoulder with its roof against a tree, according to cops.

The front passenger, the unidentified 26-year-old, was pronounced dead at the scene and the driver was taken to New York Hospital Queens in critical condition with trauma to his head and body, police said. The two rear passengers were also brought to NYHQ in stable condition with minor injuries, according to cops.

Authorities believe the Xterra struck the median, traveled across three lanes of traffic and struck the curb, before overturning and coming to a rest.

An investigation into the LIE crash was ongoing, the NYPD said.

Reach managing editor Christina Santucci by e-mail at timesledgerphotos@gmail.com by phone at 718-260-4589.

Red the garbage man from Whitestone says:
My condolences to Annamarie's family. Very , very sad. She still had plenty of life to live. She was always walking and staying in shape and healthy.
Jan. 2, 6:13 am
Reenie from Flushing says:
AnnaMarie was such a beautiful person both inside and out. Not a bad bone in this woman's body. Always so warm and friendly to everyone. I am shaking my head in disbelief. I loved her as a friend and neighbor and will miss her tremendously. My prayers to her family. Love you guys.
Jan. 2, 6:23 am
Parent of a former student from Whitestone says:
Ms. tromp was a beautiful teacher with so much love for her "babies." We are all heartbroken. We send our love to the sons she left behind, the sons she loved with all her heart and soul. God bless and protect them as they suffer this loss and hopefully come to feel her presence as their angel as time moves on.
I do hope, as the last poster stated, that the ps 79 community stand by her family as they fight to make right this tragic injustice! That boy, has no idea in his ignorant actions, what kind of beautiful life he removed from this world!
Love you Ms. Tromp, thank you for giving my little girl her a perfect first experience in school and for passing along your playful spirit to all of us!
Jan. 2, 11:17 am
Josey Wales from Whitestone says:
..This Teacher Ms Tromp was so special, so loving, caring & nurturing to our Whitestone community through her teaching Pre-k for so many years. Ms Tromp skillfully molded legions of young American children to be stable, fair, well balanced, caring, hard working, responsible human beings. If you ever saw that poster that reads everything you need to know in life you learned in kindergarten, well Ms Tromp taught it to you..
..May the PS79 community stand with her family and go to court and represent Ms Tromp so that the man who smashed her car is held responsible for his actions. We must be there to see this through, are you with me? Thank You..
Jan. 2, 12:39 pm
alishia from roy says:
ms tromp was my second grade teachers I fell so sorry for her sorry that she lose her laws I wish we have more time spending with you know Im in 4 grade and im 9 I think her lot of times
Jan. 2, 6:19 pm
alishia from roy says:
Jan. 2, 6:19 pm
alishia from roy says:
Jan. 2, 6:19 pm
Martha Piedra and family from Whitestone says:
Ms Tromp, ever since we walked into the classroom for the very first time, you welcomed everyone with a nurturing smile. You will never imagined how much my son loved you. My son is in your PM class and when we would drop my older son (who has full day) in school, he would cry because we didn't drop him off in your class in the morning. The first few days, my son would be scared of school and he would cry a lot. Thanks to the loving atmosphere you had provided, he isn't even looking forward to weekends or vacations. My son loved you so much he even asked me to call you coincidentally on the day of your passing since he missed school so much. PS79 will never be the same without you. Your departure tooked all of us by surprise and left us with an empty hole in our now, broken hearts along with unfinished tears in each and every one of us. You were a very special person who made the kids a home away from home. Thank you for everything you have done for us. loving and caring with your little one. My family is devasted and will miss you forever. We will always remember you and the impact you left on our growing pre-schoolers. Your dollyfaces will always remember you and keep you in their touched hearts forever. You truly deserved the best and we are all so sorry for you as well as your family whom never deserved this. God bless you and rest in peace. We love you. Thank you Ms. Tromp.
Jan. 2, 7:47 pm
Alexander from Whitestone says:
My family and I met Ms Tromp when she had our son in second grade. My wife and I can tell you what a pleasure it was dealing with her. She addressed our son's needs and treated all her students equally. She will be deeply missed. On the other hand why is this young man of 24 have 9 suspensions on his license and is still driving? Why is this punk doing about 80 miles per hour on a street where our kids play? Let's see what the toxicology report from the hospital tells us was he STONNED. And if he was is he getting prosecuted or just let everybody who smokes weed get away with MURDER
Jan. 2, 9:31 pm
Elleni from whitestone says:
Ms.Tromp was the best teacher I ever had. Someone I could never forget. I had her as a pre school teacher in 1999!! Im so sorry for her family, and everyone's lives she touched. It was an honor having her as my first teacher ever. Ill never forget her rip ):
Jan. 3, 2:05 pm
Mike from Flushing says:
9 suspensions? Where are you getting your info from. 80mph again where are you getting your info. I feel for your loss though. And absolutely I hope he is charged with vehicular manslaughter. He deserves it.
Jan. 3, 9:02 pm
Mom from Whitestone says:
Mike - there is a follow up article in the TimesLedger that reports that the 24 year old who hit our beloved teacher had his license suspended nine times. He never should have been on the road. Ms. Tromp's car was hit on the passenger side and flipped over. Speed was definitely a factor in this being a fatal crash.
Jan. 4, 12:56 am
joe from flushing says:
I don't know either person but texting and driving will eventually get you and unfortunately this is a painful loss to many take for granted
Jan. 4, 10:15 pm
Danny from Bayside says:
—— him..he deserves all the ass ratings bubba can give him in prison
Jan. 5, 12:44 pm
Allen James from Bayside says:
Has anyone contacted the Tromp boys father.. Sure they will need all the support they can get through this difficult time .
Used to work with him years ago , he was a great father and loved the boys but lost contact with him,such a tragic accident hard for the family's
Jan. 6, 1:06 pm
Greg from Whitestone says:
Anyone know what happen today with Zupnik in court ?
March 3, 3:07 pm
Mary from Bronx says:
I was at a gaming event today at Nintendo World with my daughter. I met Anna Marie a few years ago. I don't warm up to people quickly but Annamarie spoke with me as if she knew me most of my life. She would greet me with loving hugs. All of the comments about her warmth , caring, cheerfulness and energy are all true. I found out just today and was saddened at what her son told me. I did not press him for details . I was so stunned. How could this happen? Her spirit lives on and I hope for closure, continued strength and peace for her family. What a beautiful person inside and out that was lost to soon. :( PS She will not be forgotten. Every time I go to Nintendo World I will think of her. May she watch over her sons and family and all who loved her.
May 3, 7:33 pm