South Jamaica man arrested in first murder of 2014: Police

Police arrested Sheldon Smith (r.) in the murder of Julio Mora, the NYPD said. Photo (l.) courtesy Natasha Gibson and (r.) courtesy NYPD

A 26-year-old man who was being sought by police in connection with the city’s first murder of 2014 was apprehended in Long Island and charged in the South Jamaica shooting death, the NYPD said Monday night.

Sheldon Smith, 26, was charged with second-degree murder and criminal possession of a weapon in the killing of 22-year-old Julio Mora, of Richmond Hill, police said.

The Police Department said Mora was the first person murdered in the city this year.

He was found dead shot to death inside a home on 113th Avenue early New Year’s Day, and the following evening, police said Smith was being sough in connection to the homicide.

A spokeswoman for the NYPD said an investigation led the authorities to Smith in Long Island, and the South Jamaica resident was taken into custody without incident.

Mora’s relatives said the 22-year-old’s mother died unexpectedly from a heart attack on New Year’s Day 19 years before her son was killed.

Reach managing editor Christina Santucci by e-mail at timesledgerphotos@gmail.com by phone at 718-260-4589.

Riplo from Southside says:
Finally....... Karma is a —— and you will get what you deserve!!!!
Feb. 18, 8:49 am
Cousin from South side says:
Julio is truly loved and missed May his soul be in heaven and to the kid who murdered my family may he be buried underneath the jail living a long tormented life
Feb. 18, 12:31 pm
Jenn M from Queens says:
So glad he was finally found , Julio has a beautiful family and it's unfortunate that he was taken away so sudden but atleast there's justice for him now. Rest In Peace Julio.
Feb. 18, 3:14 pm
Addy from CT says:
Thank you lord Justice is finally served for my cousin JulioMora.. I'm so happy they have captured that coward. Our God is a God of justice..And he never lets his children down. Love you Julio R.I.P
Feb. 18, 6:12 pm
julitos extended family from Atlantic city nj says:
Thank you God!!! Thank you for giving the police and ppl wisdom to helping find this coward. They say whatever you do in the dark comes to light. Well buddy its ur turn to pay for what you have done. Hope it was worth it!! JULITO YOU R IM R HEARTS AND MINDS FOREVER. YOU WILL BE ALWAYS REMEMBERED NEVER FORGOTTEN. LOVE YA KEEP SMILING. WE LOVE THOSE DIMPLES MUAH XOXO
Feb. 18, 11:25 pm
NG from Queens says:
Although this will not bring my precious angel back, it is a relief to know this worthless coward is off the streets. The pain that he has caused my family is indescribable! This is just the beginning but Julio has a large amount of people who love him and were going to make sure that justice is served the way it should be! JULIO my love, I told you we weren't gonna stop and were NOT! I LOVE & MISS you more than you'll ever know! #JusticeForJulio
Feb. 19, 2:07 pm
Ecee from Richmond Hill says:
It's a bitter sweet moment for the family... Happy they caught this son of a —— and he's finally behind bars where animals belong.. So sad we will never see my nephew again.. Yes we will make sure justice is served for what he has done.. Papi I look at your picture everyday and tell you I love & miss you.. You will always be loved and missed dearly. You are in our hearts.
#JusticeForJulio
Love you always
Titi
Xoxoxo
Feb. 20, 4:40 am
Stacey Atoms from Ny. Ny says:
Free my FAM.. justice isn't do till Justice is served... Many do not know the true story and I feel for him. Let the truth be told
Feb. 22, 12:11 am
Sah from Queens says:
To Stacey Atoms your "Family" is in jail because he committed murder regardless for the "True Story". He put a Gun to MY FAMILIES CHEST. Clearly sheldon wasn't that big of a threat to julio because he didn't put a Gun to his chest. JUSTICE IS AND WILL BE SERVED!!!!

RIPKINGJULIO!
Feb. 24, 7:40 pm
Ecee from Richmond Hill says:
To Stacy from NY.. We'll, since you know the true story we have all the time in the world, we're listening.. It doesn't give that —— the right to take someone's life.. If he so called didn't do it, why didn't he clear his name from the beginning? But since he's your "family" you know why he didn't come forward. There's no excuse for what he has done.. He's a coward and always will be.. Papi, justice is and will be served for you. We will make sure of it..
#JusticeForjulio
Love you always
Titi
XOXOXO
Feb. 24, 9:50 pm
weed head from brooklyn says:
Damn how u gonna blame someone for somrthing they aint do? smfh FREE WHALES,HE DONT EVEN LIKE TO PARTY
March 5, 6:14 pm
Ecee from Richmond hill says:
To weed head from Brooklyn, clearly the weed must be getting to your damn head.. How ridiculous do you sound "Free Whales" ? He didn't like to party? So why the f--ck was he at a party if he didn't like to party? I can tell you why. It's because his bumb ass liked to party! You see how I wrote that? "Liked" as in past tense. Now he can't party no more!
WE WILL MAKE SURE JUSTICE WILL BE SERVED!
Papi , you will always be loved and missed #justiceforjulio #familyforever
Love Always
Titi
XOXOXO
March 5, 9:50 pm
weed head from ——mond hill says:
smfh we all know some dirty ass —— gonna take the stand & lie (for what) G.T.B GROUPIES SMFH,DONT ACT LIKE HE AINT HANG WITH BUNCH OF WANNA B RAPPERS & GANG BABGERS AKA GET TOUCH BOYZ,SO GIMMIE A BREAK DAMN RICANS#HE DONT EVEN LIKE TO PARTY#KUSHBLUNTS
March 9, 6:53 pm
BabeGirl from Queens says:
To WEEDHEAD! WE ALL KNOW YOUR BUM ASS FRIEND YEAH THE ONE THAT DIDNT LIKE TO PARTY COMMITTED MURDER AND YOUR "BOY" IS GOING UNDER THE JAIL FOR IT! IDGAF ABOUT YOU, YOUR MANS OR GTB! SO YEAH GIMMIE A BREAK GREENBLUNTS NOBODY HAS TIME FOR WHAT YOUR NICKLE BAG ASS GOTTA SAY!
March 10, 10:53 am
Its Me from Queens says:
To weed head, wow IGNORANCE at its highest damn Ricans your a clown! I guess sheldon, cory, whales, wells whatever the f--ck his name is, is a gtb groupie as well, since he was at a gtb party, partying with a bunch of gtb n-ggas "even though he didn't like to party"! He hung with a bunch of wanna be rappers and gang babgers I think you meant bangers, but I guess your crew is better so far there's 1 murderer/drug dealer and 1 weed head. You f--cking people are slow,where you there? why did sheldon hide right away Im pretty sure he didn't think he was going to be accused if it wasn't him. Im at a party and see someone is killed, Im going home not on the run because I know I aint kill no one! He left the party and never went home, why because hes f--cking guilty! Next time you comment make sure your not high because your making yourself sound ridiculously stupid! And IDGAF about no GTB, but dam the hate is real! #RIPJULIO!
March 10, 2:38 pm
ECEE from RICHMOND HILL says:
To weed head, or should I say D-CKHEAD? This isn’t about BLACKS nor RICANS. Only dumb asses like you would make a stupid A-SS comment like that. This is about your bum A-SS friend who took someone's life . It still doesn’t give that M-THER F-CKER the right to take someone's life regardless of the situation. Julio didn’t have a weapon so clearly Sheldon wasn’t a threat to him. Only PU-SSIES get down like that. I hope the booty bandit tears that A-SS up. His life was cut short, he has family who loves and cares for him and he will be missed dearly. Julio is someone’s son, grandson, brother, uncle, nephew and cousin. I’m pretty sure you don’t care about that because you belong to the big bad crew. We as his family do care and that’s why we WILL MAKE SURE JUSTICE IS SERVED. O and btw if you didn't know the only dirty A-SS B-TCH is your mama the one who gave birth to you. I know for sure your brain cells are burned the hell out. That’s why your brain can’t tell your mouth the right words to say so please take your head out your A-SS. So the next time you want to make a statement ask your A-ss to release the pressure from your brain. Papi , you will always be loved and missed #justiceforjulio #familyforever
Love Always
Titi
XOXOXO
March 14, 12:40 pm
MR from Bklyn says:
It's crazy how you read comments like this. It doesn't matter the color of skin we are. We are all God's children and we are all one. It doesn't matter if we are rich or poor, White, black, hispanic, Asian. I understand you have a loved one in jail and that's your family, but think about this family who lost this young man they could never get him back EVER AGAIN!!! What if the tables were turned you guys would be doing and saying the same thing!! You guys would be seeking justice for your loved ones. I tell you this working in the field that I am in those there would all be questioned. Since this man ran away he puts himself in a position where he becomes a main suspect. Why run if your not guilty next thing I have to say about this is EVIDENCE WILL NEVER LIE!!! Let the evidence determine who really is guilty not your words saying he didn't do this. If you weren't there you can't say what went on and if you were there and he supposedly didn't commit murder then come out with the truth to the authorities and help catch the real killer if you so call say he is innocent. Again Evidence will not lie, WHEN and IF they do find this Sheldon guy guilty I think you all should apologize to this hurting family for your hurtful comments and ignorance.
April 14, 8:41 pm
Ng from Queens says:
To Mr -Thank you for your kind words, this has truly been one of the hardest things my family has gone through. Some people are just so ignorant. Your def right evidence does not Lie! At least they get to still hear his voice and scream out in court they love him not us all we have are memories and a grave to visit.
April 15, 3:44 pm
Ecee from Richmond hill says:
Papi I look at your picture everyday and I see your beautiful smile. It kills me to know we will no longer be able to see nor hear your voice. You will truly be loved and missed always and forever.. Muah my love
#JusticeForJulio #famliyforever